Geometry keeps breaking

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

aweaklingchild

L1: Registered
Sep 13, 2009
I am building a ship hull. I'm using identical brushes and the vertex tool to make the basic shape of the hull. I will get everything neatly aligned and it looks perfect so I save a prefab of the hull. Later, after working on some other part of the map, I notice that the hull's vertices are totally out of whack. I assume this is because of something I did inadvertently (even though they're so out of place that it's hard to image what I could have done, especially since the hull has been hidden as a visgroup the whole time). Luckily I have my prefab with the correct geometry. But no, I place the prefab and it's the same with all the vertices out of whack.

I continue to have this problem with other parts of my map that I use the vertex tool to manipulate. I'm not doing anything crazy... all the brushes have 4 sides, no merged vertices, etc. Am I missing something basic about the vertex tool or is this some kind of glitch?

Thanks in advance for the help!

These are pictures of the broken geometry:

BrokenGeom_01.jpg

BrokenGeom_02.jpg

BrokenGeom_03.jpg

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
To illustrate what ABS means in a more visceral sense:
  • Take a four-corner page or sheet of paper.
  • Put it down on a flat surface like a desk.
  • Lift just one corner/tip up, off the desk, so it is in midair. (Or do it with two corners which are opposite each other.)
  • All the other corners must remain touching the desk. all the rest of the corners still touching the desk.
  • Is the paper itself still flat? Not bent or creased? Is it even possible to have a flat piece of paper with the corners in those positions?
    (Answer: No, it's not possible.)

Your problem is that you're telling Hammer to make a flat four-corner face but with corners in places that are mathematically impossible. (Note that a three-corner triangle of paper never has this problem.)

Last edited: