General size

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Grim Tuesday, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    As a basic guide to a noob, what is a good size for, say a control point area in a 3 CP map?

By size, I mean in Hammer Units, not in like capping time. What are some other good sizes to keep in mind? How tall is a person in HU? etc...

2. Tapp

Tapp L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Generally, I use the info_player_teamspawn to judge size. You can make a prop and set it to th heavy, if you really want, but that works almost as well. Generally you want all spaces to be 8 people minimum across, to prevent explosives from becoming over-powered. I would say make it 1024x1024 minimum, but put in plenty of debris and objects to take cover behind.

3. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Look at maps like dustbowl for references, they can help alot. :)

4. Tinker

aa Tinker

Positive Ratings:
    Dustbowl is actually a pretty bad map for this, because it's so tight and can lead to spam. Badlands does pretty much everything well, check that out.

EDIT: although in your case you should obviously check out gravelpit.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  5. megawac

megawac L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    And if you havent take a look at the general design theory of the game: 1, 2, and ya... thats all... over this site

6. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    General size for your CP? Smaller than you think it should be.

If I've learned anything from gameday it's that every first map someone makes is too large. A doorway usually only lets one to two people through, so keep that in mind and use the doorway props and the TF2 character models as a rough estimate.

7. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    You can use the player models as reference, throw a couple of them down as prop_dynamic, along with some other recognisable static props will help you scale everything. You can place a sentry down as well, its range is 1100 units so if you set its fade distance to that you can predict good sentry positions etc.