GDC: weapon design balancing.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by A Boojum Snark, Aug 26, 2010.

1. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I thought this was an interesting little read, even if few of us have any direct use for it.
    http://doublebuffered.com/2010/03/1...per-rifle-from-0-5-to-0-7-seconds-for-halo-3/

However, I'd like to highlight two points I think apply to mapping quite well...
    Now, I realize that when you're playing with other mappers (or pro players) they are closer to your "mental context" than RandomPlaytester273, and some people do have good solutions, but the general idea still makes sense.
    The second point applies too in the sense of layout design and signage. Maps need to be intuitive to begin with. You can nudge players' thoughts in the right direction, but if there is just too big of a divide you'll never get anywhere with them.

Lastly, this amused me in context of TF2 :p

• Thanks Thanks x 9
  2. DJive

aa DJive Cake or Death?

Positive Ratings:
    lol too true. Random crits or etc have forever pissed me off.

3. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Even if it's a dumb suggestion, there's usually a good reason behind somebody making it. Unless it's just some idiot spewing nonsense.

Also lol at the part about randomness

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    This is something that chimed with me.

5. littleedge

aa littleedge L1111: Clipping Guru

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, that's what I hate about some mappers. They'll ask "Well how should I fix it" but in reality they should only be asking "Why don't you like it?" and should figure out how to make their map better by themselves.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    So now we know why Flame hates us.

7. owly-oop

aa owly-oop im birb

Positive Ratings:

Pretty much this. Oh, and to be safe, "What do you suggest I change to it" is different and better from "What do I change?"

People need to brainstorm more. Having more ideas the better, because once you think of one idea, more will pop up eventually leading to the double rainbow best solution

8. TheBladeRoden

TheBladeRoden L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    So basically Valve should pay more attention to the "WTF OMG THIS PATCH SUX" threads and ignore the "My suggestion on how to fix this" threads?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Numerous

Numerous L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Actually, I think they should still pay more attention to the "my suggestion" threads, as the "wtf omg this patch sux" is more likely to have QQ without explaining WHY the QQ, and "my suggestion" will have more "I hate this, because of situation X and Y and Z", before going on and listing the potential fixes (which, like mentioned above, don't necesarily need to be considered).

EDIT: I read it, and it basically says "there'll always be QQers', which I've always believed to always be true, given a standard statistically probable audience.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010