GCFscape can't read tf2 anymore.

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Oh. This goes for Crafty's File System Browser too, by the way (which I replaced CGFscape with a while ago once I realized it could do all the same stuff).

Khuntza

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 29, 2009
Hmm.. I just tried extracting a map and couldnt either..

(Error: Requested view (2939676764, 3906) does not fit inside mapping, (0, 0).)

I can extract from the materials GCF but not the content GCF.

When the Sream Fortress update came out people on SPUF were reporting that TF2 was showing as uninstalled.. the issue turned out to be that they were running FAT32 drives and the content GCF was pushed over 4gb by this last update..

Id suspect that that is our issue here too.. yes Im running win7 x64 on NFTS, but Id guess the issue is to do with GCF scape reading files larger than 4gb.

/waits for GCFScape update..

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Actually there's news on Nem's site:

http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/

Don't panic:
I've received a number of emails from users having trouble extracting files from team fortress 2 content.gcf. It's taken eight years, but with the advent of the TF2 Haunted Halloween Special, Valve have finally authored a GCF file larger than 4 GB. As many of you have found out, HLLib does not properly support files larger than 4 GB (partly due to my naive younger self, and partly because I wasn't sure if Steam did either).

Long story short, I updated HLLib to support files larger than 4 GB tonight, and I will release said update this weekend when I have time to build all the installers and more thoroughly test everything.

Happy Halloween!

Bad Vlad

L2: Junior Member
May 23, 2010
Haha, he linked to the wrong halloween event.

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
yea i really want him to update that sometime today so I can update my map pack, I'm sure a hell of a lot of people are looking for those 2 new maps. :/ Damn you lazy Nem!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
When the Sream Fortress update came out people on SPUF were reporting that TF2 was showing as uninstalled.. the issue turned out to be that they were running FAT32 drives and the content GCF was pushed over 4gb by this last update..

Interesting. I wonder why the Source engine, being 32-bit if I recall correctly, can open the file just fine then.

Hastur

L1: Registered
Jul 30, 2010
GCFexplorer can extract stuff from the GCF now, even though it's over 4gb. I dunoo what the difference between the way 'explorer and 'scape work, though.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
This has nothing to do with 32 vs 64 bit processor architecture. It has to do with the memory units used in the program. It was using 32 bit unsigned (meaning all positive, no negative, you can't have negative file space) integers. With 32 on/off bits of memory there is a total of 2^32 = 4,294,967,296 possible values. Which just so happens to also be the number of bytes in four gigabytes (4*1024*1024*1024). Thus, once the cache passed this size the program was no longer able to read/reference the location of the data within the cache since the total bytes surpassed the largest number that could be stored in the memory allocation. Moving to a 64 bit unsigned integer mean you have 2^64 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 possible values to store, which is safe since I don't think Source engine caches will ever pass 18 exabytes in size.

Bad Vlad

L2: Junior Member
May 23, 2010
Moving to a 64 bit unsigned integer mean you have 2^64 = 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 possible values to store, which is safe since I don't think Source engine caches will ever pass 18 exabytes in size.

You'll see when they port No Mercy, The Parish, Drop Dead and Fish Sticks to Left 4 Dead 5.

Also:
Sorry guys, this might have to wait until next weekend. One of the drives in my OS RAID 0 partition failed today and I'll have to get a replacement drive and reinstall everything this weekend.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
You'll see when they port No Mercy, The Parish, Drop Dead and Fish Sticks to Left 4 Dead 5.

Also:

Do you have any idea the size of an exabyte?

1 Terrabyte = 1042 GB (it is currently possible to buy a 1 TB hard drive for your home computer at a semi-reasonable price*)
1 Petabyte = 1024 TB (the Internet Archive is 2 of these at a growth of 20 TB/month)
1 Exabyte = 1024 PB (Google processes 8 of these a year; the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) telescope is expected to generate approximately one exabyte every four days of operation)

An exabyte is a simply staggering amount of information that has been compared to "every word ever written by every human in all of pre-internet history."

*$200 to $400 depending on distributor and manufacturer.
Pre-submit edit: Holy fish cakes. When did hard drive costs plummet to hell!? You can get a Western Digital 1 TB hard drive from NewEgg for $60!!. Or you can get twice that amount of space for the same price I paid for my 500 GB a couple years ago from Seagate ($99.99).

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
So should we use gcfexplorer for now?