Gameplay Question

Palamag

L1: Registered
Nov 22, 2009
I want to try something new in term of gameplay.
I'm making a 5 cp map Steel-style (don't worry i'll make it so you can find your way in it)

Instead of having A and E unlocked at the beginning, would it be nice to have A B and E unlocked ?

Enjoy my awesome drawing skills :http://s2.noelshack.com/upload/9951345815895_awesome_drawing_skill.jpg Each arrow represent a path that would unlock on capture. After B is captured C is unlocked but not D. When A is captured D is unlocked but not C.

Another idea would be that only A and E are unlocked but when you cap A, D and B become unlocked.

Last idea would be to make it a classic A-B-C-D patern like an arc. Each capture would unlock the next point and would open a path to the central point. The D control point would of course open the most direct path to E. http://s2.noelshack.com/upload/18594814672566_awesomer_drawing_skill.png

Don't worry I did not put any effort in making the drawing.

Would you guys think it could work ?

Mr. P. Kiwi

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 22, 2009
To me it looks kind of complicated to understand... Why not call D - B and when you capture A you unlock B?

Palamag

Nov 22, 2009
I'll see what I can do to make it less complicated. I just want to know if it would work gameplay-wise ? Thank you for replying.

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
You can create almost anything if you're creative enough. Unlocking points at certain points of the game is really easy and since players get feedback of which points are locked via the HUD, the rest is up to placing good signs and making the points obvious.

The bigger question though is why you should do it. What would make this better than just having the system that Steel uses? One minus I can come up with is that more points means less defenders/attackers per point, making medic+damageclass even better via ubers. It also splits up the teams, making team play less important in favour of individual skill.

I think it is something you should consider. If you can't come up with a reason why to do it, maybe you shouldn't. Valve has probably tested a lot of different versions when Steel was made and I remember being totally lost on it when it was first released.

Palamag

Nov 22, 2009
The point with this kind of patern is to make teamplay a bit more important. The team would need to communicate to know the point they want to defend. The problem is that communication is almost non-existant in public server. I'll do my best with this.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's like a mix of Steel and Gravel Pit, and Gravel Pit works very well with split teams. Try it out and test it, and see how it goes!