Future Backpack Possibilities

The_Ulf

L6: Sharp Member
May 26, 2009
Figured you guys all caught this, but didn't see it in the TF2 News thread and couldn't bring it up there before it got closed and I thought it merited discussion here.

In the post addressing the Halos and Idling (but remember, that's not what we're talking about here), at the end:

We realize there is a high level of demand for items, and we're still working on systems to allow you to find them in new ways (via Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items). However, we need to draw the line at running external applications.

Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items

Hooray! (someday)

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
So what's new? They announced the trading system in May.

The_Ulf

May 26, 2009
True, but the crafting thing is kind neat to know their working towards as well.

The important thing is that it's getting closer (in theory).

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Doubt it. We probably won't see the trade system till the next class update and who knows when that's going to be?

J4CK8

L11: Posh Member
Mar 4, 2009
They also gave a hint at the crafting duplicates a while back. All I can remember was somethign along the lines of "There was a good reason to keep all those kritzkriegs after all"

But people don't seem to realise they are still working on the trading system. I saw a post earlier where someone was complaining at Valve (what a suprise) on the Steam forums (what a suprise) because they announce things and never do them.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
I doubt the'll make hats craft-able... unless you need like 30 jars of piss to make that sniper headband. If anything it'll be combining objects to make higher levels... that don't really matter anyways.

Kronixx

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 17, 2009
they can announce stuff till they're blue in the face, my only complain about their practices is releasing half completed systems. They can announce 100 systems, but I prefer to not see a single one of them until they are 100% implemented and ready to use. Only thing worse than no update, is a half finished update with no expected finish date.

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
they can announce stuff till they're blue in the face, my only complain about their practices is releasing half completed systems. They can announce 100 systems, but I prefer to not see a single one of them until they are 100% implemented and ready to use. Only thing worse than no update, is a half finished update with no expected finish date.

Yea. This is the second time I've had stuff deleted from my backpack. I can't deny that the second time could have been prevented by my own actions, but the truth of the matter is that Valve continues to jump on things too quickly and is frequently too late to fix their mistakes. I already know two people who are leaving tf2 because of the idle mishap and how they lost all their items. Even with them being returned a day later they're still set that the smugness of those who wear halos are even worse then those who wear hats.

Washipato

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
Horadric-cube.gif

I have around 10 natashas waiting for this...

Last edited:

The_Ulf

May 26, 2009

Yeah, it does feel more like the Backpack is a public Beta rather than a feature. |: P

I think it was Tycho of Penny Arcade or someone somewhere that said something along the lines of "Valve gets it right, eventually."

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
Yeah, it does feel more like the Backpack is a public Beta rather than a feature. |: P

I think it was Tycho of Penny Arcade or someone somewhere that said something along the lines of "Valve gets it right, eventually."

I think that's more common knowledge then anything else. It's funny, valve has notoriously been late on many occasions, and when they do release something it's buggier then a three week old cow carcass... but after then cleaning crews come in and hose off the bile we end up with some of the highest quality material the gaming industry has ever seen.

That's why I still stand by them... even when the stench gets a bit too thick.