Function v Form %

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Foreverkul, May 18, 2008.

1. Foreverkul

Foreverkul L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    What percent of a map do you think should be function (like how well balanced and good game play, easy to understand goals) and what percent is form (texture detail, extra props, accurate lighting)?

I would say 65% function and 35% form is a good balance. Of course these aren't mutually exclusive though, its just that usually maps go one way or the other, and it becomes more difficult to balance these aspects as you try to make them work together.

2. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I think it's silly to try to come up with numbers for this. It really depends on the map's design and layout. For some maps more work will have to be done on function than most maps. For other maps more work will have to be done on form than most maps.

In general, more time will be spent on the form, but if you ask me they are nearly equal in importance.

3. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    I agree with shmitz. Both are important. If you can make it work, you still have to make it pretty.

4. Spacemonkeynz

Spacemonkeynz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I also agree with shmitz, you can't really come up with numbers.

Take a look at Valve maps, you could say they are 100% function and 100% form, but how can you really put numbers on them?

You can have some sort of balance with gameplay, low downtime, points which make for some intense fighting but still can be broken through.

Where as style is no balance, it's simply better is better, there is no 100%. However it's definitely not a case of more is better either.

5. Lord Ned

Lord Ned L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    100% Function, 100 % Form.

You cannot have 100% function without 100%form. (And visaversa)

6. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    To be fair, I'm assuming if you have to put percentages on the two things, you'd use time spent on that portion versus total time spent on the map, in which case you couldn't have 100% of each. Aside from time spent, how else would you realistically measure them? Brush volume? =P

7. TotalMark

TotalMark L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    50% of both is recommended, although every man's coffee is a little different.

Personally if a map can play well, it could be Orange for all I care.:laugh:
    I'm not in it for the design or the immersive gameplay.