Func_Tracktrain help

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Coolz, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Coolz

Coolz L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    In my map I want to add a room where the lights start flickering and then a wheelchair that was stationary a few moments ago is moving towards them, then the lights flinally die, and when the lights turn on, its right in front of (or behind) them. I know what entity to use for this its just I've never used it before. Im not sure exactly how im supposed to use this, and help would greatly be appreciated.

2. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    flickering lights are extremely expensive. just saying.

3. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    I wouldn't say extremely. It's the same cost as a switchable light.

4. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Aren't they at least the most expensive dynamic entity?

5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    A tracktrain runs along a set of path_track entities which are linked together. All the settings in the train should be pretty straightforward: start path, speeds, etc. When you make the train in Hammer you should create it facing east (to the right on top view; 0 degrees) and when the map loads it will be placed at the starting path facing the next path. When you want it to move just send it the input. If you have a wheelchair model to use, you can make the train out of a nodraw brush and just parent the prop to it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    You are thinking of dynamic lights. Switchable lights are different. They just cost twice as many lightmaps for all faces lit by them. I suppose that there is a minor cost in that the renderer needs to blend between the two lightmaps as opposed to just swapping one out, but it's minor.

• Thanks Thanks x 1