Func_details in decompiled Valve maps

ChuckSpurgeon

L2: Junior Member
Jan 6, 2014
When I open up the decompiled maps, all of the func_details are grouped together. When you guys make your maps, do you group them all together?

I'm imagining that, as I modify a map and need to mess with, let's say, a pillar, if I bring that func_detail back "into the world," if it's grouped with ALL of my other func_details, it would bring them all back into the world. Yes?

Do you guys group some structural func_details together, but not ALL of them together?

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
You can select by solids so even entities tied together select one by one, then you dont need to move all to world. Therefore you can easily store a bunch together. Look around the top right corner of the hammer editor for a button that says 'solids' to enable selecting solids.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Just so you know, decompiling BSPs buggers it up in various ways. One of the things it does is group all the func_details together. In other words, that's not an active decision made by the map maker, that's just the decompiler doing its thing.

Another thing it does is make all displacements 1 unit thick, which really sucks.

Mar 23, 2013
I'm imagining that, as I modify a map and need to mess with, let's say, a pillar, if I bring that func_detail back "into the world," if it's grouped with ALL of my other func_details, it would bring them all back into the world. Yes?

Yes, but you can select induvidual brushes by having Ingore Groups ( :ig: ) enabled.
Mind that while this optin is active, it makes viewing entities a big buggy and you can't see anymore if a brush is tied to an entity when double clicking it.

ChuckSpurgeon

L2: Junior Member
Jan 6, 2014
Phew....that's REALLY helpful to know about the decompiled maps! Thank you, guys!

I'm really trying to learn mapping as neatly and as organized as possible--clean geometry, organized details, props, etc. Wanted to make sure my work with func_details was sensible.

Thank you, TF2Maps buddies!

Psssttt...Crash, thank you for the Youtube tutorials. I don't mind that they take so long--they're worth the wait, even on elements I'm already familiar with. Just really looking forward to seeing your instruction on skip/hint/area portals.