Func_details in decompiled Valve maps

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ChuckSpurgeon, Jan 26, 2016.

1. ChuckSpurgeon

ChuckSpurgeon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    When I open up the decompiled maps, all of the func_details are grouped together. When you guys make your maps, do you group them all together?

I'm imagining that, as I modify a map and need to mess with, let's say, a pillar, if I bring that func_detail back "into the world," if it's grouped with ALL of my other func_details, it would bring them all back into the world. Yes?

Do you guys group some structural func_details together, but not ALL of them together?

2. zahndah

aa zahndah professional letter

Positive Ratings:
    You can select by solids so even entities tied together select one by one, then you dont need to move all to world. Therefore you can easily store a bunch together. Look around the top right corner of the hammer editor for a button that says 'solids' to enable selecting solids.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Muddy

Server Staff Muddy Muddy

Positive Ratings:
    Just so you know, decompiling BSPs buggers it up in various ways. One of the things it does is group all the func_details together. In other words, that's not an active decision made by the map maker, that's just the decompiler doing its thing.

Another thing it does is make all displacements 1 unit thick, which really sucks.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Decompiled maps just group them all together like that. They aren't actually like that when they work on them.

Personally I just group related/ nearby things together with it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, but you can select induvidual brushes by having Ingore Groups ( :ig: ) enabled.
    Mind that while this optin is active, it makes viewing entities a big buggy and you can't see anymore if a brush is tied to an entity when double clicking it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. ChuckSpurgeon

ChuckSpurgeon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Phew....that's REALLY helpful to know about the decompiled maps! Thank you, guys!

I'm really trying to learn mapping as neatly and as organized as possible--clean geometry, organized details, props, etc. Wanted to make sure my work with func_details was sensible.

Thank you, TF2Maps buddies!

Psssttt...Crash, thank you for the Youtube tutorials. I don't mind that they take so long--they're worth the wait, even on elements I'm already familiar with. Just really looking forward to seeing your instruction on skip/hint/area portals.

• Like Like x 1