"func_detailing" the Skybox?

Aliensoldier

L1: Registered
Jul 17, 2011
Hey guys!
Just a quick question:
Is it possible to func_detail the Skybox without to cause any kind of problems?

Oh, and there is also something else, but I don't wanna extra open a new thread for this now:
In my map I have a radiospeaker which plays old music. But the problems is that after a round in TF2 has ended the music still plays and overlaps with the other when the new round starts. Is there some way to make the ambient_generic stop playing sound? Seems like the Input "StopSound" does not work, at least it did not in EP2...

Sep 1, 2009
Last I checked func_detailing the skybox would cause leaks as last I checked Func_detail doesn't seal

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
I don't really see why you'd need to func_detail the skybox anyway.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I don't really see why you'd need to func_detail the skybox anyway.

Well, slow VVIS due to lots of vis-leaves would be a reason. (Which brings into question what that kind of heavy-duty brushwork detail is doing there in the first place.)

Last I checked func_detailing the skybox would cause leaks as last I checked Func_detail doesn't seal

I think the phrasing here is misleading: In terms of leaks, there is no difference in how you'd treat the sky-box versus how you'd treat any other major wall, floor, or ceiling in the game.

You can func_detail brushes that reside inside the skybox all you want.

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Well, slow VVIS due to lots of vis-leaves would be a reason. (Which brings into question what that kind of heavy-duty brushwork detail is doing there in the first place.)
I think everyone assumed he meant the actual skybox brushes, not stuff contained inside the 3D skybox. But now that you brought that up, no portals/leaves are generated inside a volume that contains a sky_camera, so it would be irrelevant to do such a thing.