1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

func_detail

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by tnelly, Dec 25, 2010.

1. tnelly

tnelly L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hai,

I want to turn some of my world brushes into func_details, but after I restart Hammer, or just exit the map and open it again, the func_detail-s always turn back into world brushes, and I don't know why. :/

I use this option:
    [​IMG]

What should I do to save what i changed into func_detail, and let them be to stay as func_detail after reopen too?

2. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    You need to actually tie the brushes to the func_detail entity, that visgroup updates automatically and will not actually convert your brushes into func_detail.

Select your brushes and hit ctrl+t and select func_detail (it the default option). Alternatively select the brushes, right click and select tie to entity.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  3. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    If you keep seeing f_details as world brushes even after what Rav said, make sure you're in Group or Object selection mode, not Solid. Solid sees every brush as a world brush.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. tnelly

tnelly L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Awwh, this totally works :D
    My portal flow's loading time reduced back at last from 2 hours onto 5 mins, at run/compile map.
    Looks like i missed this step.. (tie to entity).

Awesome, thanks !!

5. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Just make sure not to function detail a displacement, this would cause a leak. Also, if you function detail a brush that is sealing the map off from the void, this will also cause a leak.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    Also make sure that you don't have :ig: enabled, because when it is on you cannot select brush entities, only the specific brush/brushes without the entity information that "groups" one or more of them together.

This may overlap with Seba's comment, in that those modes may alter whether :ig: is on.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. lana

aa lana Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    If this happens later on, make sure you're selecting either "Groups" or "Objects" and not "Solids". You can switch between them by pressing Shift + W.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Shift-w toggles snap-to-grid and ctrl-w switches from Groups to Solids, at least on this end.