func_brush?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Laz, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Laz

Laz L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I came across a func_brush in an official map.

I know why we used to use func_wall and stuff, but I thought that was what func_detail is for now?

so my question, func_brush VS func_detail, what's the difference, when to use and why?

2. The Asylum

aa The Asylum

Positive Ratings:
    I think what func_detail does is it takes some of the pressure off of having the engine render whatever it is, essentially telling the game "Hey, this stuff here? Yeah, don't bother fully rendering this, it's unimportant"

func_brush, because you can give it a name, can be used for a ton of fun stuff. Invisible walls, visible but intangible walls, be sent kill inputs, etc.

3. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Func_brush also allows you to create a solid object from geometry and to turn its shadows off. You'll find a number of fancy uses for it.

4. Spacemonkeynz

Spacemonkeynz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    func_brush is to prop_dynamic as func_detail is to prop_static

basically, if a brush just sits there and looks pretty, make it a func_detail.
    But if you want it to do something (parent it, kill it, toggle it etc.) func_brush gives you the inputs to do these things.

5. Laz

Positive Ratings:
    all I needed to know :D thanks!

6. What Is Schwa

What Is Schwa L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    The only reason we func_detail everything is because the engine ignores func_details when assembling vis_leaves. If you don't know what vis_leaves are you REALLY need to read a tutorial about map optimization.

Here is the dev wiki page on Map Optimization that explains a lot of the terms.

Here is the specific page discussing how the engine creates vis_leaves.

If the object isn't supposed to block the players vision than func_detail it. This will reduce your compile time and file size.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  7. Laz

Positive Ratings:
    no worries, I have known about vis leafs for a looooong time and how they work :) I was just wondering what func_brush did. last time I seriously mapped was for counterstrike beta 5 (about 10 years ago)

8. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    A good use of func_brush is the minimum light level function. This allows your stairs to have equal amounts of light on them instead of having weird shadows.