Func proprespawnzone

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by trackhed, Feb 18, 2008.

1. trackhed

trackhed L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
  2. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Oh awsome. I always wanted one of these in DM :D

3. Fyfey

Fyfey L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
  4. Sacrifist

Sacrifist L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    im guessing the Valve mappers arent using this in their maps lol.

5. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    what the hell does tis entity even exist??

6. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    Wow, if func_viscluster will bypass the stupid 1024 rule, I am in love.

On the other hand, the wiki entry on the entity tells a slightly different story:
    I'm not exactly sure how those two descriptions are both true. Does it merge them? Or does it just save the compiler calculation time by telling it they can all see each other? There's a significant difference to its usefulness.

7. trackhed

trackhed L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    its called Func proprrespawnzone <-notice the 2 r?

8. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I did a little playing around with func_viscluster, and it does seem to actually merge visleafs together. At least, that's how it appears after compiling a map and loading the portal file.

Things to note:
    • It *does* merge across the dumb 1024 rule.
    • Does quirky things when competing with hint brushes, don't know if/how that affects performance.
    • You generally don't actually want a whole bunch of large visleafs, as that will usually cause players to render things that don't need to be rendering.

I can see them being useful for:
    • Large expanses of "sky" that have nothing of note to render, and that the player will never spend any time inside.
    • Side "eyecandy" rooms that if you can see inside it at all, you're probably seeing the entirety of its contents (also, use areaportals to see into them).
    • Places where the compiler decides to take a bsp cut on one side of a wall and extend it far past the other side of the wall, resulting in groups of small pointless visleaves.

In general, I wouldn't mess around with them unless you understand map optimization for performance and how changing visleaf structure will impact that. Visclusters seem to be part of the compilation/filesize area of optimization, which should always come well after visibility and rendering control.

9. Noggin

Noggin L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I had emailed Valve for optimization help and got this reply...

Func_viscluster
    Func_viscluster is used to merge leaves together. It is usually used in large open areas where multiple leaves are unnecessary, or in areas where's there's too many leaf cuts due to complicated geometry and you want to merge them together. It is not something that should be used a lot, as it is basically bypassing the BSP tree.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008