func movelinear question

timberghost_paintball

L2: Junior Member
Dec 19, 2007
I'm toying with the idea of having some moving elements in my map particularly around on the the control points. My first idea was to have the 3rd cp on a gravelpit style map on top of a large piston like platform that slowly moved up and down and paused for a few seconds at the end of each stroke. from my preliminary investigation it does not appear that the cp prop elements can be parented to a moving object so this may not work but if anyone has an idea on how to do it I would appreciate some advice. The second idea was to build some brush objects that would move up and down and temporarily block access / view to the cp with the idea that a well timed attack may be able to use these brushes to block some sentry positions for a short while.

While I figure I can use a onFullyClosed/Open and then close/open outputs on the move linear entity to control the platform I don't know how to get it to start in the firstplace (it needs to loop without direct user input). So if anyone has any advice in general on this topic I would greatly appreciate it.

timberghost_paintball

L2: Junior Member
Dec 19, 2007
thanks for the info I was able to get a logic relay to do the job of getting the piston moving, now I got to figure out if I can get the cap point entities to go with it

Pseudo

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 26, 2008
To parent the entities try sending them a SetParent input ingame using a logic_auto or something. It will show up as an error while in Hammer but it should be supported by the game.

Edit: I just did some testing. The SetParent method does work. Another method that works is to manually add the "parentname" keyvalue by turning off SmartEdit.

Last edited: