Frostbite

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Jetti, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Jetti

Jetti L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Announcing...
    Frostbite!

Frostbite will be a Territorial Control map based on the theme of my first map; Artpass, that is to say, a canadian oil refinery being struck by a blizzard. I'm sure it will be a mamoth of a task and will eat up all my free time, but I want to go through with it.

Plans for RED's final CP have already been made. This will have a strong emphasis on hight variation as well as giving pyro's the ability to blast enimies into a large bottomless, radioactive chasm. In many respects, this point resembles Nucleus and my Artpasses map's final point.

I have nothing to show yet, however I just wanted to announce the project. Feedback is not needed at this stage. Enthusiasm is.

2. Wilson

aa Wilson Burial by Sleep

Positive Ratings:
    You sir, got massive balls.

3. Jetti

Positive Ratings:
    How so? I have plenty of free time, and I shall use it. If I give up on the project, koth and arena maps can still be made from the points. It's almost guaranteed I get a map to release at the end of the project, be that completion or abandonment.

4. Wilson

Positive Ratings:
    You got any idea how hard task you set for yourself?
    So many people in this community have tried to make good, fun and working TC map, only one has success at it and even then it took him pretty goddamn long time.

Looking at fact this is also your first real TF2 map project, i have to say, you seriously got some balls.

5. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    I completely agree with Wankhouse, a TC Map is HUGE, though a great project if you don't mind working on it slowly and for a long time. They are tough because they need to be balanced every time, in every way.

I shall look foward to what comes of this :D

6. Nitram

Nitram L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Sounds like a cool project, based on your artpass this can turn out great :)
    But as you said and other people said, it's a big task. Best of luck :D

7. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    The only semi successful TC map made by the community is Shmitz's meridian.

There are a couple things you should be aware of.

TC uses a lot of dynamic entities. Be prepared for a lot of error troubleshooting the closer you get to completion as you will more than likely reach engine limits.
    TC requires a lot of I/O logic. You need to be on the ball.
    TC requires a lot of understanding about how entities actually work and interact with each other. Including use of the Half-Life tools/ textures.
    You need to optimise very carefully. Hydro is almost entirely seperated by cliffs, it's amazing how the map gets away with it aesthetically. an oil rig wont be so easy.

8. Whated

Whated L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I thought all gametypes are hard to get balanced for each team ;=) If they are not symmetrical, and for all classes...

9. Wilson

Positive Ratings:
    Oh you have no idea how much harder TC can be to balance. :O

10. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    everything else has to balance each point for attackers and defenders. you have to do that for six points. six points, with three main routes to each to attack. three routes that only one of which will be available at any time. those all have to be fun.

TC meridian was thus not QUITE 12 ctf maps.

Then again, damn will we be impressed if its done right.

11. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    And, if done right, it would be great. Since TC isn't played often, If you can create a GOOD and FUN map... it could help revive the gamestyle.

12. Detattol

Detattol L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    And I Helped!

Hey everyone, The map goes well as I hear it, I'll be helping my good friend Jetti with the map. The snow should be interesting....hm.....xD

13. Jetti

Positive Ratings:
    Quick clarification, does there have to be three exits from the red bases spawn to the red's final CP? Because I'm going to have trouble if that is the case. :/

14. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    its about entrances and exits: if one team has more entrances, that team has an advantage.

(thats as far as i cant help you, as i honestly cant tell if the hydro bases are meant to be easy or hard to defend)

15. Tinker

aa Tinker

Positive Ratings:
    Remember that it has to be fun to play on as well: this is where Hydro (often) fails; the places where the teams meet up are boring chokepoints, and while the cp areas themselves are well designed, that's not where the fighting happens.

16. Jetti

Positive Ratings:
    Progress is coming very well currently, with the final red CP's layout almost completed.

EDIT: forgot to specify, I mean in hammer

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  17. Jetti

Positive Ratings:
    Got my PC back from repairs - finally!

Proceeding to work on the map again.

18. Mr.Blob

Mr.Blob L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I agree this will be hard. - BUT! - Pull this off and you shall be very successful! :D

19. Beetle

Beetle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ya know, that's like saying "As long as I win, I can't possibly lose!"

20. Jetti

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]
    Just reminding you guy's that Frostbite is being worked on...