Forward spawn rooms - overused?

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
You know, I was thinking about this today as I did some more work on my current project.

I know forward spawn rooms have a place in TF2 and some maps it's crucial to have them but I find that alot of maps have them that should not. Mostly CP maps that have control points that can be won and lost. I find that it's almost a waste to build teleporters as an engineer because by the time you get one up and working, it very well could be that the entrace is no longer useful because you're team is now spawning in another location.

Even on some PL maps, it's all about preference. Badwater has one but Goldrush does not. Badwater is longer but still, Goldrush has some really long stages, the last is very long, but no forward rooms. It really brings the engi tele's into play alot more. They are critical to success. I like that.

Just curious and wanted to get some feedback on what types of maps (layouts) do you find that forward spawns are useful and what maps do you find that they really shouldn't be used. You can give maps names if you want.

Last edited:

Zipok

L2: Junior Member
Jun 26, 2008
5 CP maps like Granary and Badlands. Most definitely they need forward spawns. It would be totally impossible to make those maps end if there were no forward spawns, respawn timer hassling would not be enough. And on the other hand, usually maps like Dustbowl and Gravelpit do not need the additional spawnrooms.

In my opinion, it goes down to the questions "How will the map flow smoothly in-game?" and "Will the running times become too long for players to like it?"

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
My opinion is always "What would Valve do?". No forward spawns in multistage CP, gravelpit CP, CTF, anything valve doesn't use them for.

Really, it comes down to your map flow. Some need them but the map makers put them in bad spots. Some don't need them.

nfreader

L1: Registered
Sep 30, 2008
I'd much rather use a central spawn point for both teams that locks/unlocks doors based on point ownage (like cp_steel).

Open Blade

L420: High Member
Nov 30, 2007
I'd much rather use a central spawn point for both teams that locks/unlocks doors based on point ownage (like cp_steel).

Well that's fine for attack defend maps because when doors unlock, both teams can use that route. For 5 point CP maps, I don't like that idea. I actually thought of doing this but if both sides of the map are mirror's, it really does not serve as an advantage or disadvantage for either team.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
My opinion is always "What would Valve do?". No forward spawns in multistage CP, gravelpit CP, CTF, anything valve doesn't use them for.

Really, it comes down to your map flow. Some need them but the map makers put them in bad spots. Some don't need them.

WWVD....QFT

This is absolutely the way to go, it all comes down to how the particular map plays.