Forestry Comission

Jakkarra

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 26, 2009
Backcut

Basic beginnings of my map, Forestry comission (Name is subject to wild change, thinking of things like "Woodcut" or "Lumberyard" Though i believe they have been used already.)

It's a multi-stage payload, though i'm working on the first stage at the moment, and it's based on the theme of Arena_Sawmill at the moment, but this is, again subject to change (I have a poll on the forum i frequent for chosen themes, which i may add here)

I know it's not much as of yet, but i wanted to post my workings here so i can get feedback on what i have done already.

I have a video showcasing what i've got so far. (Warning, this video is a little outdated now, and a lot of stuff has been added, i'll post a new one when i've finished these changes.) Here you go.

I might have a playable alpha soonish, within a few weeks, i just need to know what changes are required. (If this is the wrong section for this sort of thing, please inform me)

Thanks! ~Jakkarra

EDIT: Progress videos:

2:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bLI8XI3oZw

EDIT: First release: Please be gentle and see the Changelog.

Last edited:

Jakkarra

Aug 26, 2009
Yeah, soon after i posted i remembered about it, forgot to make the change to be honest.

I need a catchy name , i'll go search out Lumberworking terms. (Unless i get a good suggestion)

Jakkarra

Aug 26, 2009
Bump, For Great Justice. (Progress video added to original post.)

Jakkarra

Aug 26, 2009
Updated.

unfortunately, it has not pakratted correctly.

Jakkarra

Aug 26, 2009
That's just those screnshots, which i mentioned are of a previous version, the map is lit.

Nov 14, 2009
Update your screens, and then someone might take a look. As it is right now, it does not look appealing...

Passerby

L2: Junior Member
Mar 27, 2010
yes update the screens it could be the best map ever but if people first see the fullbright on dev textures no one will even try it

Jakkarra

Aug 26, 2009
Good plan. I shall go do so now. there have beem huge improvements since then, most notably, there is no fullbright now.

Mar 23, 2010
just got done with a small playtest (4v4)

1. hard to navigate
2. lighting. its a tad dark in some places. I'm sure you know.

3. general balance and chokepoints

It seems like their are 5+ alternate routes and 3+ buildings in some areas. It's fun, but engies cannot defend with all these flank routes. In higher player amounts, it would probably be a steamroll. we can't tell but that's my prediction.

(excuse the low quality-ness. My comp is awful)
11b8809.jpg

Move the checkpoint closer to here. It's more of a choke if they have to be by that roof (with no height advantage) longer.
2cp856u.jpg

^This is not a chokepoint, like at all.
2crlqbl.jpg

^This might make a better chokepoint, if you add some cover on that ledge, add a medium ammo box on that atrium(?) and perhaps remove that rock.
2wdq0ir.jpg

^block route or make it tighter. it just seems so unrefined and, on higher player games, it will be spammed.

258xqi1.jpg

^close that gap between the supports. it is really annoying when a FaN scout shoots your stuff.

2moyve1.jpg

^add a fence here. its playerclipped. and that roof thing has odd lighting.

Some roofs were waaay OP for sollies/demo. only a few.
For god sakes add forward spawns!

Last edited:

FiLi

Nov 14, 2009
Since I have OCD and need everything perfect, I would enjoy your map a lot more if all your dev and other textures that aren't specially aligned looked like this
Dev.png

No changes in scale or shift.

It also seems sort of big for one stage in a multi-stage map.

Jakkarra

Aug 26, 2009
yah, it is a leetle big, but then again, if it's good, why is that bad?

Also: I have painstakingly aligned NON devtextures, there are a lot of devs though, and i havent really found the will to change them.

I'll try to do so though.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Why are you using multiple brushes where a single brush will suffice?

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
I can give you the source on the image you need to put outside of your spawn jakkarra ;)