Force in Hammer Editor

Cookie^

L2: Junior Member
Jan 26, 2014
I have been wondering for quite a while and google never gave me the result I wanted. How do you go about adding a platform that when the player touches it, it adds a certain amount of force to a direction? :confused:

Kind of like the platform in tr_walkay_rc2 where it throws the bot in the air for you to practise airshots and stuff.

Thanks to everybody for your help!
:)

Exactol

Certified Hammer Hacker
aa
Jul 11, 2013
trigger(might be a diff thing for the begining)_push sends people in the direction specified

Jan 8, 2011
Use a func_conveyor. They're really easy to use, and they make a lot more sense than trigger_push-es.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
I've only played the map very briefly, but from the .vmf of the map it looks like the launcher is just a func_conveyor angled at an almost 45 degree angle that gets its speed toggled through the buttons off to the side:

5bc8dc6c.png

..instead of using a trigger_push, that is.

Edit: Oh, I didn't see Shanghai's post until after making this one. He is right but I am more detailed. :v

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
I can't remember which but one of func_conveyor or trigger_push can be really wonky in multiplayer games. Like they just randomly don't work.

Cookie^

Jan 26, 2014
Tried trigger_push and it only works horizontally.
func_conveyor just showed a block with the 'trigger' text on it and when I stepped on it it did nothing.

How should I exactly use func_conveyor?

Jan 8, 2011
Don't use a trigger for the func_conveyor, put it on an actual brush. Conveyor isn't an invisible brush entity, it just adds a push factor to a visible brush. For example, in the screenshot below (which shows a player-launching ramp doodad), the func_conveyor is the whole diagonal brush textured with 80% reflectivity.
oXttu7Z.png

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
Note that func_conveyor has a matching material proxy in case you want to show the movement on the material.

Cookie^

Jan 26, 2014
Thanks, I managed to make it push you to a horizontal direction.
What move direction should I use to make it toss the player in the air?

Jan 8, 2011
If you mean straight up, just click the little drop-down next to the directional thing and select up. If you want something like a 45 degree, you can make a ramp like I did and just have it push the player horizontally, then put a little angled playerclip right at the top so that it bounces them up a bunch.

Cookie^

Jan 26, 2014
If you mean straight up, just click the little drop-down next to the directional thing and select up. If you want something like a 45 degree, you can make a ramp like I did and just have it push the player horizontally, then put a little angled playerclip right at the top so that it bounces them up a bunch.

Um, I tried using Up and it literally does nothing. :/
Are there any flags/inputs/outputs I have to change?

Jan 8, 2011
The problem with using up on a conveyor is that the player has to be touching the conveyor to get its effect; as soon as it pushes them up, they stop touching it, so they stop getting pushed up. Either make the push speed really huge, or make the conveyor vertical.

Cookie^

Jan 26, 2014
Thanks it worked wonders.
Only problem, I have to press space so that I get tossed in the air.
Is there a way to do it right as I touch it without pressing anything?

Jan 8, 2011
I'm not sure, I don't know what it's like with vertical push. If you lower the conveyer belt by a few HU, you can make the player fall down onto it, which should push them back up without needing them to jump.