For those about to map....

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Armadillo of Doom, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, I'm still here :glare: I hope everyone has been enjoying their Summer. Social life not withstanding, TF2M continues trucking along :D The [ame=http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8513]Swamp Theme Contest[/ame] has produced some really cool stuff. Just 2 days and counting. Speaking of contest times, I have been carefully monitoring all of the wips for our [ame=http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=7009]Third Annual Major Contest.[/ame] A great many of you have been diligently working on your entries. After some discussion w/ the rest of the staff, I think we are going to need a real extension after all. Remember this does have to end eventually, lol. The ultimate-for real-no more changes- due date is going to be Friday, October 30. The contest timer will be updated soon enough.

Some non-contest news, I have been meaning to bump this thread for awhile now; [ame="http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=8089"]Custom Particle Request Thread - TF2Maps.net Forums[/ame] User Fearlezz has been doing some amazing work for the community w/ custom particle effects. Check out the thread, and maybe drop him a 'thanks' ;) And finally, a rare bump for yours truly :p I did a cameo for this nifty podcast. It's a really cool look at everything from game design, to the evolution of team work. TF2M gets an extended promo + shout-out during the closing. My humble contribution shows up between 40 and 45min. into the cast. And that's all for this week.

.... I salute you.

• Thanks Thanks x 10
  2. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    October 30th. Great. :D

3. BrokenTripod

BrokenTripod L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    Awesome! I might be able to get my map into the contest with some detail after all! Not really expecting to get anywhere near the quality of some of the other contest maps, but I'm really glad the extra month was allotted. All of the maps deserve a little more time for detailing and fine-tuning gameplay.

Might I suggest a weekday "gameday" for contests like we did a few weeks back so that the contest maps don't continue filling up the gameday slots?

4. Void

aa Void Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say

Positive Ratings:
    Way to ruin my excuse of ditching Scoville due to time constraints...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Ravidge

aa Ravidge Grand Vizier

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the extension, it will help me a lot.

I'm always looking for new podcasts, so I might aswell check that one out!

6. Bslashingu

Bslashingu L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd love to see a TF2maps.net podcast.

7. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    /me wonders why the timer has not been updated. :glare:

8. ANova

ANova L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hooray more time so i can also finish my map ;)

9. Fearlezz

Fearlezz L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Omfg thank you so much for the extension. My school starts so I cant work as much on it. Thanks a bunch

10. LordNor

LordNor L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    yay update, im going to go check out the swamp stuffz right now

11. Radenska

Radenska L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    While we may not be an official TF2maps.net Podcast, I can tell you that we'll look at and discuss a number of maps and contests that crop up around here from time to time.

In case you're wondering, I'm the creator of the podcast :). Thanks for giving including us in the news btw, Immortal-D! We really appreciate it.

Of course I welcome everyone here to take a listen, and in the future I'd like to give communities such as this the chance to send me voice-in's just as Immortal-D was gracious enough to. If there's stuff mappers here might want to see as segments relative to modding too, I'd love to know.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  12. pitto

pitto L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the extension, it will definitely help

Currently I have A and B almost done, and C is just started on detailing ... I should probably post some progress screen shots

Progress for me isnt as fast as I thought tho, the amount of uni work I have seems 2 have gotten more this semester even tho I'm doing the same number of subjects as last semester

13. Jack Riguel

Jack Riguel L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    Gah. I'd love to see a Swamp Contest extension too but I know half the reason why I can't continue is because of school and my computer also deciding that now would be a brilliant time don the black eyeliner and slit its wrists… much like what I’m doing in retaliation.

Eh, guess I could just throw the detail work into the KOTH map I'm working on anyways. Glad to see an extension for the other contest though. I'm not participating in it but from the current position a lot of the maps were in it'll be nice to see the mappers get some extra time to sparkle them up.

14. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Awesome, with this extension I should be well into a final release :D

Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  15. Vigilante212

Vigilante212 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Kudos for the extension. I didnt think I would get my second stage nearly complete in 26 days.

16. Hanz

aa Hanz Ravin' Rabbid

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah thanks for the extension, now I can maybe submit a final version of my map for the contest. :D

17. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    I might be able to reach snowdrift_final too now

18. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    I am pleased to see this kind of optimism :) I maintain that this is easily the biggest thing we have ever done. But the community are the ones who make it a big deal. However, if Halloween rolls around and you say 'just gimme till winter break', I reserve the right to smack you :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for fixing the time. :)

20. zpqrei

aa zpqrei Theme Changer Extraordinaire

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, the time took a while because we (mods) don't have access to the site code, or something :p. We needed DP/Nineaxis to do it.