Fool Hill

Fool Hill b2

Feb 14, 2008
It's been a while, sorry for taking so long. Enjoy the map.

Note, as of now there is:
- No 3D skybox
- A few shadow bugs

Everything else should be in order though.

Have fun!

Last edited:

mtv22

L3: Member
Feb 28, 2009
Wow, this looks really good. Except for the texture on the blu building in the 2nd pic.

Feb 14, 2008
New release coming tomorrow...

And err, new name; partly inspired by the Beatles, partly inspired by my desire to have a more unique map name.

Feb 14, 2008
I've updated the original post and download link, I'd appreciate it if a moderator changes the topic title to 'Fool Hill'

a5screenie.jpg

Here is the change list for this version (please note that several areas on BLU's side are still under construction, a I did not have the time to finish them for this version):
Code:
Alpha 5 21/03/09:-
- Bug Fixes:
   * Attempted to fix not being able to block final CP
- Improvements:
   * Nearly full detail pass on BLU side
   * Renamed map to 'Fool Hill' (cp_fool_hill)
- Balancing:
   * Second CP changes
     - Replaced backstairs with new ramps next to the CP
     - Extended defenders balcony to support these changes
     - Added raised platform for 2nd CP health
   * Third CP changes
     - Opened up attackers balcony to simplify paths
     - Moved health and ammo in this area

This is the most recent version for testing, and please try it out :)

Last edited:

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
There should be a rule you have to pick a name before you start a showcase thread :p

Connect_Four

L2: Junior Member
Jan 28, 2009
I love playing the alpha versions, and I am overjoyed that you added cover on the hill from CP3 to CP2/4. Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing the results. :)

Feb 14, 2008
Thanks!

Contest deadline tomorrow, I hope it make the top 4. :unsure:

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2008
Old photo, I reused the one from before I took it, they are changed in the current version ;)

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
The top of this thread says a4, but when I click download now the file page says a5.

Feb 14, 2008
Thanks for pointing that out :)

Feb 14, 2008
Thanks for the feedback guys! Really motivates me to crack on with the rest of it.

I'm gonna watch the demo now :D

Classy

L1: Registered
Feb 9, 2009
Oh the Humanity we all used to laugh at randdalf saying he would one day be able to make a good map. All we need now is for you too add in some glitches in case it makes it into ETF2L, it might just become our most played map;). maybe a couple of phoenix squad sprays would make it look better just a thought:D.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2008
I'll make sure to put in a secret "insta-win" button Classy, just for you.

Work has officially resumed after buggering around for a week with areaportals, it's gonna be my fall-back project in-between exams.

I'm currently experimenting and learning other entity systems for it such as spectator cameras (not the hardest things in the world) and soundscapes.

Feb 14, 2008
So, after some reasonably extensive analysis by some guys from #tf2.playtest.pickup, I've made some changes to the final point, to make it easier for attackers to make use of their uber.

First change is the removal of one spawn room, and then the transformation of it, along with a new room, into an alternate route, accessed from the balcony:
newroomO_o.jpg

Currently unsure whether I should keep the door there or not, being a prop, it's not going to help with optimisation, although it should provide some cover for the guys in that room.

Second, is the expansion and addition of a new door to the other spawn room, in order to balance the loss of the other one:
newspawno_O.jpg

One final addition, not pictured, so you'll have to imagine it, is a little shack built on top of the attackers balcony garage door, to provide better cover out of this area.

Pretty elementary stuff. Anyhoo, progress is pretty slow, I keep on finding things to distract me from doing it :(, hopefully I can get back in the groove sometime soon.