fog and shadow controllers?

P

Pegg

Has anyone else noticed in the decompiled maps there is a fog controller and a shadow controller in every one? I was curious as to why then when running around maps if you look very closely you can see that the air is hazy (well is good for seeing this). I assume that the shadow control and fog control go with the skybox and light_environment settings however i cant find the one i need so i figured if we know the settings for them to post them all up for anyone to get without having to hunt around the very messy decompile maps for them.

Post any you know, or know the location of inside a map?

Kernel

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2007
...you can have more than one fog controller, and you can set which one is the master, i think 2 fort has 3 or 4, i don't have it opened up right now. Shadow control, is only good for props, and players, ie the health and ammo kits, etc. The valve developer wiki, has some good info on this. Just make sure you don't set the shadow control too high, as the shadows will display through brushes, example if you have a ammo kit, and above you, it will project through the ceiling. Just try to set it similar to the angle of the sun in your skybox.

P

Pegg

Hmm, true. Realistically i was trying to find 1 of the fog controllers for hydro (only sky box that works) so my map would look slightly more valve-ish.

controllers aren't something I've ever used so i don't wanna go playing with and breaking my map =D