Flooding the map

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Freyja, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    I'm doing a payload map where the final point is below a water tower.

I'm wodering if there's a way, so when the final point is taken, it explodes, taking out the water tower with it, flooding part of the map with water, drowing (trigger_hurt?) everyone in it. Is it possible, or is water basically fixed? (I'm assuming so, it's a brush...but...)

I'd post some pictures to show you how its going but its basically just blocks now. I'd just like to know if its possible so I can modify the map if it isn't.

2. a2h

a2h L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    func_water_analog is something you might consider

3. Cameron:D

Cameron:D L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Or make the water a func_movelinear that moves upwards and parent a trigger_hurt to it.

4. Backslash

Backslash L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty sure he means a dynamic animated flood. In that case you'd have to do it the same way valve does the explosions. I would think you'd animate the water gushing out of the tower and down into the map and then make an actual water brush rise like Cameron suggests.

5. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    That could work. I assume I use that tutorial on making custom explosions?

And just for future reference...

She ^^

6. Stormcaller3801

Stormcaller3801 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I've got a related question, which is probably worth thinking about for Aly's idea as well: I've got areas of Drainfield with shallow water pretty much everywhere- and part of that area includes what's likely to be a couple of elevators. Obviously water isn't going to just stop at the 'vator, so I'm likely going to need to either figure out some reason why there's no water, or have it drain in a waterfall-ish way in the front of the elevator shaft (at which point I can add some sewer drains for it to fall into and it's all good).

Is there a way to get that approximate effect, having water sheeting downwards?