[FIXED] I need help to save 2 months of work

N0VA

L1: Registered
Oct 16, 2016
A few days ago my TF game started to have problems with the TF game coordinator, at first, i restarted Tf2 then restarted steam, then my PC and so on.

But nothing helped, when looking online. i saw that reinstalling steam should do the job.

But i made a mistake when uninstalling it so i can reinstall it again. it removed all my VMF files along with everything TF.

So basically i lost all my work... ALMOST all of my work.
I wasn't able to save the VMF file on time. but i was able to rescue the BSP file just mere seconds before my maps folder got removed as well.

I tried decompiling it but so far no success.

So i was hoping to get some help here to get my map decompiled again, i don't just want to make the BSP public yet so i want to send a downlink with some sort of PM or something like that.

TL: DR: Can someone help me to decompile my map?

Thank you VERY much if you are willing to help. it would save me a LOT of frustration and effort, and demotivation.

~Leon.

(P.S. if you want to know anything more, don't be afraid to ask)

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Was your hammer set to autosave maps? If it was, default folder is C:\HammerAutosave.

sooshey

:3c
aa
Jan 7, 2015
What do you mean, decompiling wasn't a success? If you use BSPSource your vmf should come back mostly intact.
In the future, backup or store your vmfs somewhere other than your game files.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
If your decompiler doesn't work for whatever reason, you can toss the bsp my way and I'll do it for you. In the future, I'd strongly recommend keeping your source files outside of the game directory because custom content isn't backed up to the steam cloud. Even better, you could use a file synchronization service like Dropbox or Google Drive to backup your map folder online.

N0VA

L1: Registered
Oct 16, 2016
Got it working again,
Thanks for all your replies anyway. it goes to show that people are willing to help others out.