First attempt at tf2 props

matou

L2: Junior Member
Oct 25, 2008
So i've been fiddling with 3ds max for roughly 5 weeks and decided i wanted to try and make a TF2 Payload for a cool idea for a map i had (which i might get to eventually)

ANYWAYS! I just wonder what people thought of it and feedback about it. I'm not really happy with how the raft looks at the moment.

prop_raft.jpg

AgeNt_

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 12, 2009
the main issue i see right now is the ends of your logs are not flattened. once it goes into game the model will have issues on what it looks like. might want to fix that. also, the barrels themselves have some un-needed polys in the middle. same with the bands around the logs, aswell as the logs themselves.

matou

Oct 25, 2008
Yeah im aware of the unneeded polys on the barrels and logs. It was tossed up quickly in class (DirectX wasn't as entertaining as modelling was) Those extras will be gone (eventually)

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
It's worth mentioning that while you don't want too many excess polys in such places, you do want more than just each end of the barrel, so that the vertex lighting looks decent if there is a shadow across it.

matou

Oct 25, 2008
It's worth mentioning that while you don't want too many excess polys in such places, you do want more than just each end of the barrel, so that the vertex lighting looks decent if there is a shadow across it.

What exactly do you mean? There should perhaps be more polys at the ends of the barrels?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I assumed you guys were talking about these seams creating more polys

barrels.JPG

With them, there are vertexes along the way to make smoother lighting points for shadows. Without them, there is only one vert at either end.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Hey, if you are serious about getting this into source, try this tutorial on compiling with Context:

http://www.interlopers.net/tutorials/24774

Also you would need to learn to UV map the mesh so it can be properly textured. Google around for some 3dsmax tutorials on UV mapping.

In anycase, triangulate those log ends so you can see how they really look. Polygons with > 4 sides are unruly.

matou

Oct 25, 2008
I am serious about getting it into sourcesdk thanks for the link. As for the UV map i know how to do that stuff it's just a matter of me getting to it... eventually....