Firing events on player spawn?

kimangroo

L3: Member
Mar 15, 2008
Quick question:

What entity/logic do I need to fire events (like locking/unlocking doors enabling/disabling brushes, displaying intro message) when a player spawns?

I would have thought there was some kind of onPlayerSpawn event, but I can't seem to find it.

There are probably hacky ways to do this with normal trigger brushes on the spawn points, but what's the proper way?

Hope someone knows... and can get back to me before I finish my mapping for the day cos I'm an impatient bugger ;)

Thanks!

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
I put a trigger_mutliple around the spawn points, and fire an onstarttouch output to whatever. As far as I know that's the generally accepted way. There isnt a "onplayerspawn" output on the info_teamspawn ent. It can be tricky to keep it so the player can only touch the trigger once. Usually have to make the player drop into something they cant get back up in, or lock the door etc.

Last edited:

kimangroo

L3: Member
Mar 15, 2008
ah fair enough, actually in my case stopping the player touching the trigger more than once shouldn't be a problem, I was just worried that if I did stuff the "hacky" way I'd run into problems once the map got bigger and more complicated.

So triggers it is then.

Thank you!