Final Compilation Changes Lighting

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Dense_Electric, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Dense_Electric

Dense_Electric L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I'm working on a TF2 map and have gotten it to the point where I'm ready to playtest it, and the lighting looks pretty good. But when I run the final compiler, I find that it drastically increases the brightness on all the lights (especially the light_envrionment entity) and makes it downright painful to look at. Help?

The parameters I'm using are as follows:

$bsp_exe -game $gamedir $path\$file
    $vis_exe -game $gamedir $path\$file
    $light_exe -both -final -game $gamedir $path\$file
    Copy File $path\$file.bsp $bspdir\$file.bsp
    $game_exe -dev -console -allowdebug -game $gamedir +map $file

2. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    is this your first time compiling in HDR?

3. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    Do you have a tonemap_controller in your map?

4. Dense_Electric

Positive Ratings:
    Yup. ;) I must admit I've been pretty lazy with my mapping up until this point, figured it was time to fix that.

I did put one in, but the only option I saw was "Name," and figured something was messed up there. I can't remember if I actually tired a full compile with that though, lemme go check.

EDIT: This is strange - it looks nice and pretty now, but I'm gonna guess it's becuase of the big glaring "Vrad performed and illegal operation and must be shut down" notice I got. I doubt somehow that the function of the tonemap_controller is to shut down vrad.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  5. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    You need a logic_auto to actually set its values. See this page for basic instructions on how it works.

6. Dense_Electric

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, I did try that, but vrad is still crashing after compilation (though the maps still runs without HDR lighting). Ideas?

EDIT: Problem resolved, thanks for all the support! Hopefully I'll be able to get a slot on the next gameday.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010