Filter entity placement best practices

DrHorrible

L1: Registered
Feb 26, 2009
I'm working on a door based off of spaceweasel's tutorial.

Since a filter is not a player-interactive object, it can conceivably be placed anywhere in the map.

Is it standard to place it right near the entities it controls? By default it ended up being below my map.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I usually put all location-irrelevant entities together in one spot. You can't really have a filter near what it controls because most commonly it will be used by stuff all over the map.

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I group all point entities that have nothing but I/Os and settings to do with the map in one position, usually lines - ie All gamemode stuff in one row, one next to the other. All environment stuff, in a row, 16 or so units away from gamemode entities.

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
All entities used acros the map are in a seperate box outside the map. Round specific entities are placed at a recognisable place inside that part of the map. If there is an entity used for just 1 respawn its however outside the map. Simply because i prefer to keep entities together as much as possible (for rounds its however more comfortable to have the entities inside that round). For train watchers in plr i place each at the beginning of that track.

A shape of how they are together isnt fully set for me. sometimes i get like a diagonal line. But they are allways grouped though to the type. Round timers are allways outside the map because i generaly use just 1 and set it up diffirent each round by I/O.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
5cp maps tend to have them congregated over the central cp.
payload maps seem to have them congregated a couple units above the start location of the payload.
Dustbowl is weird and has them split between the finale control point and the initial starting gates.

Relays are really the only entities that tend to stick by their parent entity(s).

Where ever's easiest for you to find them and access. You could put them in a box outside your map, but it's just as easy and simple to have them all congregated somewhere in your sky.

megawac

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 2, 2009
I put them in the sky above the middle of map 5cp push and symmetrical ctf, and havent done any pl so havent thought about it. Personally I always put a skip brush around them for connivence sake.
*Rawr!

DrHorrible

L1: Registered
Feb 26, 2009
Here's a question: how do those entities interact with using the cordon tool? I have been making use of it in testing out my first door (functional if not elegant).

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Using the cordon tool or visgroups to take items out of the world basically takes them completely out of play.

IE if your light_environment was excluded by the cordon tool vrad.exe would not apply its settings. If there were no additional light entities in your map it would compile in fullbright.

Blue552

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2009
Wish the SDK came with a text based entity controller. So frustrating clicking on all those damn icons.