ficool2's Overhauled FGD (all entities documentated + icons!) 3.5

An updated FGD to help you map EVEN MORE efficiently.

1. ficool2

ficool2 L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

I got absolutely sick of the numerous times I had to scrap my projects because something was not possible, but then it turns out after looking at source code that it in fact exists but has never been documentated somewhere.

And also seeing people spit out false information, such as 'physics props' cannot be parented, or that dynamic entities can't change models at runtime, or that kill icons cannot be changed. Wrong, wrong and wrong!

This FGD has been completely re-written from scratch over a 1 year period. What does it include?
    • Every single entity and their respective keyvalues/inputs/outputs has been documentated or at least listed, either by using datamap dumps or source code engineering
    • Better descriptions, re-written by me or used from the VDC wiki
    • Exactly 600 brush + point entities together are now listed, with nearly 13,000 lines of code
    • Say goodbye to white cubes. Most, if not all, entities now have either an icon, or have a suitable model appearance
    • Inconsistencies, grammar and errors have all been corrected, and values have been corrected to be more suitable for normal usage
    • FGD is much cleaner looking, allowing for very easy modification
    • Updated Hammer visgroups to include these new entities, allowing for easier hiding
    • Sick of outdated FGDs? Fear not, this is fully up to date as of 10/11/2018
    [​IMG]
    (Models hidden for better viewing)
    [​IMG]
    Look at all those new keyvalues! (some may not be listed if using the LITE variant)

[​IMG]
    If you have the Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack from ABS or Puddy's Small Mapping Resource pack installed, follow the Installation section to make this FGD compatible with them!​

[​IMG]
    If you haven't already, get the Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack first before installing this. (Be sure to follow the Installation section of this guide afterwards!)​

Installation:

Before installing or using this FGD, you must make some changes if you have the Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack or Puddy's Small Mapping Resource installed.

Go to your Steam game library:
    [​IMG]

Go to the Local Files tab and click on Browse Local Files...
    [​IMG]

The Team Fortress 2 folder has now been opened. Open the tf folder, then open on the custom folder.

If you see a file named ABS_MRP_Improved_FGD , delete it.
    If you see a file named Puddy_Mapping_Pack, delete it.

Do not delete ABS_Material_browser if it exists, as it doesn't cause conflicts!

[​IMG]
    (you might not see the .vpk extension)

Both of these are not compatible with the FGD, however this includes ABS's Improved FGD, so don't worry. Puddy's pack on the other hand... is useless.

Now we can install the FGD. Open the download and you will see this file:
    [​IMG]
    (you might not see the .vpk extension, the version number might also be different)

Drag this file into the custom folder, like where the 2 other files existed before we deleted them.
    Next, you will see these files in the download.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (you might not see the .fgd extension)

Pick which variant you want to use. LITE has less entities and keyvalues, for easier readability (use this if you are doing normal mapping for TF2). Use the Normal variant if you like messing around with entities.

Take out a file and put in any comfortable place. I prefer to throw it alongside the other file we installed earlier, so its easy to find.

First part done. Not finished yet however! We need to now tell Hammer to use our FGD.

Open up Hammer editor, and go to the Options area.
    [​IMG]

You will see a Game Configurations window open up. Now, first you make sure the Configuration: box is set to Team Fortress 2. Next, you will see the Game Data Files: box, and some lines containing installed FGDs. Click on the lines, and press Remove until the list is empty.
    [​IMG]

Now click Add, and find the tf2_ficool2(.fgd) OR tf2_ficool2_lite(.fgd) file you extracted earlier, and select it.
    It should look like this now:
    [​IMG]
    Or this:
    [​IMG]

Press OK at the bottom, and restart Hammer. Congratulations, you should now have installed the FGD successfully.

Uninstallation:

If for whatever reason you want to uninstall this FGD (which I highly recommend you don't), perform the same steps as above, but do it for my FGD files instead.

Notes:
    • The Origin keyvalue is now available for every entity. You may see a blue sphere like below appear at the entity, or a large yellow sphere around the entity. You can toggle this by clicking this sphere button somewhere at the top of Hammer's UI. Note that this is needed for some entities such as doors or physics entities, or to help as a guidance for objects such as the sentry gun, so remember to toggle back when necessary!
    [​IMG]
    • Some keyvalues/inputs/outputs may not work for an entity, but work for another. Testing this manually for 600+ entities is kinda painful, so use common sense if possible. Most keyvalues work correctly however
    • The tf_weapon_* and weapon_* entities are not documentated, as all of them do absolutely nothing. However, a list is available inside the FGD incase you need it (for example to remove weapons)
    • This pack uses some assets from @A Boojum Snark. Permission has been granted beforehand.
    Known issues:
    • None at the moment!
    If there is any other issues you find, let me know as soon as possible, Hammer thanks you.

Planned features:
    • 3D (unique) helpers for certain entities (obj_sentrygun, phys_ entities and others)
    • Unique trigger textures to help with identifcation?
    • Document everything, with no blanks or vague explanations

Happy mapping, hopefully.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 14
    • Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 5:20 PM
  2. Kobolite

aa Kobolite The only dutch person here!

Positive Ratings:
    Oh fuck this is a lot

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Infomaniac

Infomaniac L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    At least the obsolete dude is still there.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Midlou

Midlou L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Great work m8 :D

5. E X T R A S U C C

E X T R A S U C C L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Can you at least tell us the code that makes models OBSOLETE, so people can prefer seeing it or not.

6. ficool2

Positive Ratings:
    Hotfix V1.1

- Fixed Hammer crashing with the material browser, fixed backpack icons showing up as well
    - sky_camera and env_dustpuff icons have been removed temporarily until a fix is found for the scaling issue
    - Added sphere helpers to the Explode Radius keyvalue

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tumbolisu

aa Tumbolisu  I ⌄ I 

Positive Ratings:
    The number of properties for prop_dynamic is insane. Perhaps you can put in seperator lines, like a fake property that is just a space or something. You don't have to do this with every entity of course, just where it starts to get messy.
    It could be that the game won't like these fake properties. At least see if it's possible.

8. ficool2

Positive Ratings:
    upload_2018-11-6_21-42-12.png

Not too sure about that

Anyway, not going to remove any of them since they all do work, theres not really much you can do with organization for them. I might add some form of -------------------- line divider, but not sure if it will look good.

9. Kobolite

aa Kobolite The only dutch person here!

Positive Ratings:
    Please do that

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BigfootBeto

aa BigfootBeto Too obsessed with perfection

Positive Ratings:
    Wow this will go a long way to alleviating headaches.

11. Asd417

aa Asd417 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Had a very weird experience just now.
    I messed up the installation and saved my vmf, and when I loaded the vmf, most of the props where moved to the map origin so make sure you back your file before installing in case you mess up.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. FrostHoneyJuice

FrostHoneyJuice L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Ugh, why did you add entities that do not function in TF2? Like what's the point of having them?

[​IMG]

13. FrostHoneyJuice

FrostHoneyJuice L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    And especially something like this? Like... why?

[​IMG]

14. ficool2

Positive Ratings:
    Could you provide the .vmf? That shouldn't be happening

The player entity servers a guide to the keyvalues/inputs/outputs you can use on the player. The non-functional entities serve as an information centre. I will be making a 'lite' version of the FGD that has all the non-functional/engine entities removed, so you can stop complaining about seeing too many words on the screen

15. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Yo! This is pretty cool. Do you think you could add a visgroup for func_instance entities?

EDIT: where on earth has pitch/yaw/roll for props gone?
    [​IMG]

16. ficool2

Positive Ratings:
    Time for another hotfix, I really should have tried to make a basic map before releasing it to see that its useable

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. ficool2

Positive Ratings:
    Hotfix V1.2
    • Fixed prop_static angles/origin missing
    • Added line dividers so that you all stap complaining about reading too many words
    • Added instance visgroups
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Asd417

aa Asd417 L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Sadly, I do not have the vmf where it happened but when I did install it properly, it worked just fine. thanks

19. All_Over_RS

All_Over_RS L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    i create this account just to say.

I love you

edit: you MISSPELLED TRANSPARENCY

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  20. ficool2

Positive Ratings:
    Update 1.3

- Added LITE variant of the FGD (removes 'useless' entities, and removes stuff that doesn't function in multiplayer, use this if you are doing normal mapping for TF2. Use the normal variant if you like messing around with entities.)
    - Added DXLevel keyvalues back to visible entities
    - env_laser now inherits from env_beam, fixes missing keyvalues
    - Removed modelscale keyvalue from brush entities as it doesn't work
    - Fixed transparency keyvalue making the FGD literally unusable
    - Fixed several formatting issues and typos

The FGD is probably finalized at this point, hopefully

• Thanks Thanks x 3