Few mapping questions

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Kraken, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Kraken

Kraken Few more zeros and ones for the site to proccess

Positive Ratings:
    I have just started mapping and I am not that good with hammer
    How do I make steam/fog
    And is it possible to make a effect that int he fog you can make critical hits with neon anihilator

Ps. Sorry for bad grammar

2. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Fog that gets thicker the further the player can see is controlled with env_fog_controller. That applies fog to the entire map, however. Local fog can be made with particles or func_dustcloud. Steam spraying out of a pipe would either be a particle or env_steam. Particles are the least resource-intensive I think.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  3. iiboharz

aa iiboharz Meme Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Seba's got it, though the neon annihilator crit thing is a little more complicated, I don't think it's easily done. It's absolutely possible to make a volume in which people crit but I don't think it's exactly possible to make a volume in which a specific weapon crits.

You could create a volume that's water but not water, if that makes sense? Mapping is weird.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  4. Kraken

Positive Ratings:
    I could use trigger to give player the after water effect, but don't really know how.

5. Kraken

Positive Ratings:
    Does anyone know how to make a trigger give the effect from going in water and getting out(the tripping water).

6. Lampenpam

aa Lampenpam

Positive Ratings:
    The only think you could do there is puting the player for a split second in a water volume.
    But don't you think what ever you are trying to do there is a bit too specific for a beginner mapper?