'Feelers Poll' - Random Crits or No Random Crits

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by Fr0Z3nR, Sep 15, 2014.

?

What do you think the testing server default should be in terms of random crits?

Poll closed Sep 29, 2014.
  1. I want the server default to have random crits ON

27 vote(s)
    39.1%
  2. I want the server default to have random crits OFF

27 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. I am impartial, and don't frankly care whether they are off or on.

15 vote(s)
    21.7%
  1. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    **********THIS POLL WILL NOT DECIDE THE SERVER DEFAULT FOR IF THERE IS RANDOM CRITS OR NO RANDOM CRITS. THIS IS JUST A POLL TO SEE THE SPLIT OF OUR COMMUNITY ON THE SUBJECT.**********

So this poll is to get a general feel for the split of the community on the Random Crits or No Random Crits Default for the servers. This poll will NOT decide what hte default it. There is three options here, I ask that you vote you feel is the best representation of your opinion. If you want do have any comments or questions, please leave them in the main discussion thread. Again, this poll is just a general 'feeler' poll, not a decision making poll. This is information that we feel will help the community as a whole, more than with just Crits or No crits.

**********THIS POLL WILL NOT DECIDE THE SERVER DEFAULT FOR IF THERE IS RANDOM CRITS OR NO RANDOM CRITS. THIS IS JUST A POLL TO SEE THE SPLIT OF OUR COMMUNITY ON THE SUBJECT.**********

2. Dain

Dain L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    what if I want allcrits

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Please don't feel me

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  4. Freyja

aa Freyja ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Positive Ratings:
    IMO if you turned crits off and didn't tell anyone no one would notice/care, so turning them off is probably the best option.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    Does this also count for damage spread and stuff or just crits?

6. Toomai

Toomai L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I notice all the time when crits are off when trying to hit people with wrenches. If I determine crits are off due to not getting rewarded for being in melee range as an Engineer, I may decide to go Mini-Sentry. It's a legitimate point of decision.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  7. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Just crits.

Who do you think we are, UGC?

8. wareya

wareya L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    TF2 needs a melee-only crits setting.

9. shadowslasher11

aa shadowslasher11

Positive Ratings:
    I'd keep them...it takes away the fun on the shittier players ends.

10. Roll

aa Roll -in a daze-

Positive Ratings:
    I hate random crits, but in the end I don't think they matter.

11. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    third critpoll already, soon theyll become a tradition :D

if tf2m was to shut down most people wouldnt notice/care either but thats not a good reason to shut tf2m down :p

crit argument #14513452 go, its high time tf2m turned into spuf

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  12. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Crits are part of a complete breakfast, but I don't like eating them 90% of the time.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    Critical hits are an important part of how tf2m does things, and everyone should allow them here. It's like everyone posts when asking for feedback: "comments and crits welcome"

Yes, this is the best "crit" pun i've been able to come up with in twenty-four hours of trying.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. sevin

aa sevin

Positive Ratings:
    No contest for me, crits should be off. A lot of maps here on TF2M get competitive testing and may be used in competitive rotations, so having crits on will not give accurate heatmaps and other data valuable to mappers when designing a competitive map. Most of the recent maps bought by Valve have been in the competitive rotation for a long time as well, so this sort of leads in to that. And it's no fun getting killed by a crit, I always feel bad when I get a random rocket crit and annihilate a heavy/medic combo who was sure to kill me.

EDIT: literally my first shot after making this post was a random rocket crit that killed a heavy who was about to kill me.

15. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Everyone does remember that this is asking about the DEFAULT they think the server should be set to? No how all tests will be done? As it is now, and will forever be, Crits are optional, IF THE AUTHOR REQUESTS IT.

16. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    Can the request be in the form of a point_servercommand tf_weapon_criticals 0 ?

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  17. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Technically, it could be. The problem with a map changing a server's cvar is it will stay that way forever until the server restarts if there is nothing in the config that re-sets it on every map change.

If all our servers had them turn on by the config, it would be completely allowable for an author to turn them off in this manner. Of course, they'd want to make sure that is only for versions they test here - otherwise other server owners would get pissed off at them.

18. puxorb

aa puxorb L69: Emoticon

Positive Ratings:
    I use all stocks mainly. Getting rid of random crits makes things like the shovel, worthless. Please do not.

19. nightwatch

aa nightwatch

Positive Ratings:
    I guess there's no way to test the ip of the server for use by the entities of the map, is there?

20. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    no... but you have given me an idea to try... will report back soon™.