Feedback On Map So far

Eternal

L69: Deviant Member
Jul 8, 2009
Here are some screenshots of a small portion of the map I'm working on. This is the FIRST map I've ever made in any 3d mapping program (the last video game I ever made a custom map for was Starcraft back when it was new lol). Feel free to be harsh I won't take it personally.

The first screenshot is just an overview of the map (what will be the first section of a 3section payload map)

screenshot1r.jpg

As you can see I've only gotten to about 1/3rd of this section (so 1/3rd of 1/3rd of the full map lol) I basically sketched out on paper my very basic idea and then I went into hammer and started making big squares as placeholders for the idea and have been molding the map out of that premise. I set orange for default just "stuff" gray is neutral territory buildings, and then I used the dev colors for where spawn rooms will be for each side.

screenshot2qof.jpg

A screenshot of the area that I've made the most progress in (currently the inside of that building ihas some basic textures setup but thats about it) Also that rock formation is pretty obviously made entirely out of displacements, I like how it turned out except for that really obvious seam where the sides meet the top, I was thinking of putting some little details like bushes and such to help break up that seam and try and draw attention away from it if I can't figure out how to fix it.

screenshot3yql.jpg

From this angle you can see on the ground around the rock formation that there is a pretty obvious seam on the ground, I think thats because I haven't done a full compile to fix the shadows on the train tracks, but I'm not certain. When I look at it in hammer it looks fine sooo yeah. Also this side of the rock formation will be the side the cart starts on.

Here is the final screenshot

screenshot4nig.jpg

Just sort of to show the tunnel (which made making this rock formation such a pain in the butt, but it really helped me figure out how displacements work, thanks a lot also to Youme's displacement tutorial) The lantern underneath there is just sort of stuck into the rocks, I'm not sure how I'll handle its placement in the final version yet but I might just leave it there sinces its dark and only a little bit of the handle is in the rocks to give the illusion of it being 'hung' there. Also I have it set to I believe Light_A or something, which combined with the googled color # for the red part of a typical candle leads to a very nice glowing pulse to help emulate the flame of the lantern. Which looks great in the fog and rain.

I'd appreciate any critisism/feedback or whatever. Like I said this IS my very first map so any suggestions could probably help me immensely :)

Last edited:

Eternal

L69: Deviant Member
Jul 8, 2009
The rock took A LONG TIME (like probably 10hours but it was my first real experiment with displacements. As for the ground I found that I could get a nice natural feel by leaving the setting at 5 but then turning up the radius to around 80-90 and on a level 4 resolution displacement and sort of casually clicking around (up or down) and then going in and cleaning it up with a really small tool for places where I want a specific kind of feel for a spot.