Featured Map

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by littleedge, Dec 5, 2010.

1. littleedge

aa littleedge L1111: Clipping Guru

Positive Ratings:
    Who's in charge of what maps go in the Featured Map section in the header of the site? Until recently, I agreed that the only maps notable of mentioning up there WERE the old Artpass maps. But with the release of some new versions of awesome maps, I feel we should change them.

I propose Biodome and Axle. Axle hasn't gotten the love it deserves. And Biodome's amazing.

2. red_flame586

red_flame586 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think there should be some vote with the top maps for the month/ bi-month/ millennium posted on the home page for people to vote, so we we can get those maps updated more often.

3. drp

aa drp

Positive Ratings:
    i am. taking suggestions. post it here/make a vote. we'll make the top 3 maps of the month.

4. red_flame586

Positive Ratings:
    Well in that case, the obvious choice would probably be biodome and Axle, though if you must have a third, watershed might do...

5. Moose

Moose L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I propose tempest because it is my map and also a 5cp.

Then again, It'll probably go beta in not /too/ long, so whatever.

6. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    I think Bazillion should be one of them. Very good map, b5 right now? Its turned out to be a very interesting map in my honest opinion.

Aside from that, I think Khuntza's Mirrored Map Pack examines and shows what a small little change to a map can do to the feelings of it, and help us understand our own maps more. It should also be there because honestly these maps are a great way to spice up any server rotation.

For a third, I'm torn a bit. Obviously someone would say Axle, Biodome, or Tempest or something if they were as active in the chat as me, but I thought about it for a while and no! I remember a map I like MORE than both of them! Its a nice little map called Snakewater, and the thematics and gameplay were great.

Those are my choices for December.

7. littleedge

aa littleedge L1111: Clipping Guru

Positive Ratings:
    If we have to pick three, then I'd add Khuntza's Mirrored Map Pack to my list.

So that's Biodome, Axle, and Khuntza's Mirrored Map Pack.

8. red_flame586

Positive Ratings:
    On a slightly more serious note, I think boundary is also pretty good and shouldn't be overlooked. There are quite a few good maps out right now, it's really hard to pick them.

9. Whated

Whated L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I vote for TMP's post. I love Snakewater! Khuntza's would be there too, because I didn't realise they are Valve maps mirrored until I saw the payload onces. Bazillion I have never look at. But I trust TMP. So, I vote TMP's map suggestions.

10. REEJ

REEJ L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    definitely needs to be at least weekly updated

i vote for biodme

11. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Unfortunately we don't produce enough quality maps to highlight one every week.

Once a fortnight... maybe. But probably more like once a month. It doesn't sound like it'd be that interesting/exciting updating it only once a month but it'd at least give a good amount of publicity time for the map. If you're that interested in custom maps that you want updates weekly, check the forum area.

But it's probably more effective to just highlight a map when one appears. I think Ravidge has been giving map shout outs in his TF2M News threads... Not that there's been one recently.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  12. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I second bazillion, axle, and tempest.

13. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  14. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    I'm thinking Tempest, Axle, and Lakeside. I like Lakeside.

15. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    I vote Biodome, currently. As of yet, axle is an overall solid map lacking a single fantastic-to-look-at feature that would be good for screenshotting. Maybe next week/month.

16. Prestige

aa Prestige im not gay anymore

Positive Ratings:
    Axle, biodome, bazillion, mirrored map back. havent played tempest yet

17. honeymustard

honeymustard L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think you should feature finished maps that came out of the "TF2Maps system". So Coldfront, Hoodoo etc (not necessarily just those made official though). So when new visitors come along, they'll spot them, and recognise them, and check out the rest of the site.

18. red_flame586

Positive Ratings:
    Unfortunatly finished maps are a rarity, of course you won't put out a brand new map still in alpha with dev textures, though not enough maps actually get released to make it viable to do it with any regularity. Beta maps like axle and biodome, yes, though if we wait for maps to be finished and/or bought by valve like now, then it'll never get updated.

19. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    If people have come to this site i think it's safe to assume they wanna do more than just look at the home page. This site isn't exactly infamous, it's been mentioned on the TF2 blog several times and that's just part of it.

20. honeymustard

honeymustard L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I can think of loads of finished maps. And I'm not saying it's going to be a main attraction to new visitors, but they'll at least say "ah, I recognise that, cool, it came from here".