Favorite recipes?

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Little late for Thanksgiving, but I see no reason why certain dishes should be limited to 1 official holiday. For example, I enjoy cranberry sauce year-round :D I picked up this mix from a very old article in the Chicago Tribune. It's a simple dish that utilizes very strong flavors. The recipe claims a serving size of 10, but it's closer to 4. Maybe 5 if you your metabolism isn't a furnace like mine, or you're just a light eater.

12 ounces cranberries (usually 1 bag)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice (I prefer to make fresh squeezed, cuz a little pulp helps to thicken the mixture)
1/4 teaspoon each; salt and grated ginger root
1 tablespoon of orange liqueur

Mix cranberries, sugar, water, and oj into a saucepan. Stir over high heat until dissolved. (I use a wooden spoon here). Add ginger & salt, reduce to medium heat. Stir about 5 minutes until the berries split open, and the mixture is thick enough that it sticks to the spoon. Remove from heat and add the liqueur. Stir for a few more minutes, then chill for a minimum of 3 hours.

Notes: Raw ginger is very powerful stuff, but the primary flavor is still cranberries. The orange and ginger flavors add small yet strong under tones. Due to the proportions, the aforementioned flavors are subtle, but you won't have to try very hard to taste them. Enjoy :)

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
Heh, I just made a Birthday Cake last night for my family's Turkey Dinner. That had to be the most obscure thing I saw along with all the other food that we're preparing.

I'm glad I see that someone likes Cranberry sauce as much as me though. :D

I've got a good recipe for chocolate chip cookies somewhere. While not my favourite and sort of a no-brainer to make, this little variation makes the best mix. These cookies stay soft and yummy for a good week after they've been made, if they stay uneaten that is. Might have to do with the fact it uses like three sticks of butter, but yea. If I manage to find it before I forget about this thread I'll post it.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Most recipes of mine around holiday time invole a lot of guesswork.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
Here's another one. This is the real life equivalent of The Simpson's 'forget me shot'. I learned it from my younger brother :) It's called 'freddy krueger'. Start w/ a layer of Grenadine. Next add a layer of Apple Pucker. Next add equal parts of the 3 wise men; Jack, Jimmy, and Jose. Top it off w/ a shot of Bacardi 151. You drink it through a straw from the bottom up. In 20 minutes, you'll be out cold.