Fake walls?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by 404UNF, Oct 8, 2011.

1. 404UNF

404UNF No longer a "TF2 Beta/Cut Content Historian".

Positive Ratings:
    I remember doing this ages ago in an idle map I made for this server I ran (about 2 years ago).

I think it was an entity, but basically, it looked like a wall, but you could walk through it (think those fake grated walls in the Goldeneye 007 (N64) multiplayer map Complex).

How do you do this? Someone remind me, it's driving me crazy.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy L11: Posh Member

Positive Ratings:
    I guess you could make a func_brush and set its solidity to 'never solid'. Never tried it though.

I hope you don't mind me asking why you want fake walls in your map.

3. RaVaGe

aa RaVaGe

Positive Ratings:
  4. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    I'm going to be making secret areas in my map, accessible via "air vents".

It's an idea I got after recently playing Facility in multiplayer in Goldeneye 007 on my old N64 (thank god I kept the thing).

The only difference is, the vents will be ground-level, and the player will crouch to go into the air vent.

5. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    or... func_illusionary. I'm not entirely sure but i believe these don't count towards the entity limit as they are static, not dynamic solid entities like a func_brush. There's no need to use a powerful (to a lack of better words) entity like a func_brush for such a simple task.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Kiddnils

Kiddnils L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I don't think that secrets areas are a good idea. Maybe they give an unfair advantage for players who know the secret. Unless its a idle map.

7. Loc_n_lol

Loc_n_lol L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    ^
    Depends what it's used for. IF there's just an easter egg behind the secret area, Idon't see a problem with it. If you put a resupply locker behind it, well...

8. R1ghteous

R1ghteous L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    This... but keep in mind the brush wont have shadows. So if you want shadows there you need to make a wall the same size using the dev texture "block light". Then place the second a wall exactly where your false wall is.

More about block light here:
    http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/File:Toolsblocklight.gif

9. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    func_illusionary is what I used when I first started making maps. Thanks for reminding me!

But yeah, the map I'm working on is a much needed update to my first map, achievement_idle_spytech.

I originally planned to have a whole ton of shit in that map, but never found the time to add it, so I kept it simple.

I really want to delve into map optimization in this new map, and one of the things I want to try to incorporate is the system that Valve uses in Payload maps where you can only "see" the area you're in, mainly when you noclip out into the sky. I believe it's called "occluders", but I'm not sure.

The original map I made (spytech) has serious issues with it, such as:

- Easily spawncampable, as are most "achievement_idle_funbox" maps, which is what I based my map off of
    - No nobuild func's in the spots that needed it the most
    - No map optimization
    - It's called an achievement map, yet there's no actual achievement-helping areas

That's why I'm updating it, removing long hallways and instead using teleport systems to get from point A to point B, which also helps with the spawn camp issue.

This map will start out as only being used on my server, but eventually other servers will pick it up and use it, much like they've done with my achievement_idle_spytech map.

10. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Uh, Valve just seals off areas with skybox brushes or nodraw between displacements or carefully built func_detail pieces. Take a look at the sdk versions of Goldrush and Dustbowl. There's no occluding in the sky.

11. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Not being able to see into other areas is the power of areaportals, which forcibly seperate areas of the map into individual segments (hence why they can cause your map to leak).

As yyler already pointed out skybox brushes seperate one area from another, though it's areaportals or cleverly placed hints that make sure you don't get odds and ends of brush faces being rendered around corners, behind skybox brushes.

12. 404UNF

Positive Ratings:
    Ohhhhh, so that's what it is. Damn. I was hoping it was some sort of occluder or whatever.

What I'm currently doing, with the teleport system, is having certain areas of the map separated from the others.

What I want the map to do is per-player, only draw things in the area the player is currently in.

Possible?

13. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I don't mean to be rude, but that is the idea behind most optimization. The fact that you thought occluders did this automagically for you was a bad sign, but the fact that you don't even know what optimizing does is frankly frightening.

A good start is to read this. Then go into the official maps and take a look at what they are doing. Use the SDK versions so that all the tool brushes remain intact.

A player standing in a room separated from the rest of the map should only be rendering what is in that room regardless unless there is some way to see from one to the other. If the map is sealed and the room is sealed there shouldn't even be an issue or cause for extraneous optimization.

14. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    Just BTW, occluders stop props which are completely covered by the occluder (if the occluder were an opaque wall then you wouldn't see any part of the prop) from rendering, IIRC.