"Failed to lock vertext buffer in CMeshDX8" Assistance

Heili

L3: Member
Jul 21, 2016
Solved: Don't use ported game content, TF2 doesn't mesh with their models.

I've finished a 3 stage map after about 6 months working on it and I've come to an error when trying to load the map with sv_pure 2 enabled, this error does not appear with sv_pure 0. With sv_pure 0, I can load the level normally after I've packed all custom content. Trying to load the level with sv_pure 2 enabled gives me this engine error and promptly crashed the .exe: "Failed to lock vertext buffer in CMeshDX8::LockVertexBuffer.nVertextCount=2204, nVertext=0"

I googled some help to no avail, and my map size repacked is 82KB, slightly larger than cp_egypt. Overall I made the primary engagement range quite large, and I'm unsure if I'm breaking some engine limits or this is just a problem affecting me. I want to release my map without any errors like these. Here are two screenshots of the map if that helps gauge an issue. I'd be appreciating anyone with some know-how on this error for help.
shoplift-catwalks.jpg

shoplift-industries.jpg

Last edited:

Spipper

Former cheese man Gorgonzola
aa
Feb 18, 2012
Are you sure you have packed the custom content properly? Which program do you use to pack the extra content?
I just had this exact problem earlier today since Compilepal for some reason refused to pack the content properly into the map, thus crashing the game when I loaded the map with sv_pure 2.
I fixed it by renaming the map and compiling again.

Heili

Jul 21, 2016
I use VIDE to pack my maps, and I just tried using the lump editor on my map only for it to tell me "Read Error, Incomplete Read". And if it doesn't auto sound files, then 16 of them definitely were not packed. I'm gonna try doing your solution, double check everything gets packed, and get back to this if this was the problem. Thankfully this sounds like a harmless procedure, not that the map size is too large.

Heili

Jul 21, 2016
After recompiling for a new version string, building cubemaps, and double checking that everything I want is packed, this error still crashes tf2 with sv_pure 2 only. I keep a list of files to manually pack that VIDE doesn't do automatically and it's a simple checklist every compile I do, I've never seen TF2 crash because something was unpacked. And I've released maps before that contain the same folders as /sound /particles /maps and so on. I have very little for myself to proceed with this confusion.

Update: I figured I'd eventually figure this problem out myself, I don't like asking for help because of this, but now it got worse crashing tf2 without any error message. I've managed to pack with compilepal, but now the screen freezes once waiting for players countdown ends (yet you can still move, use voice commands, and the console). Now it's so bad VIDE lies that everything is packed when it's really not!
vide.JPG bugs.jpg

Update 2: After a long week of tinker tampering, I didn't figure out the cause. Instead I asked someone smarter than me and said this was an issue with ported game content. The lesson: don't use L4D2 models in your maps.

Last edited: