Fade to White?

Prettyman

L1: Registered
Mar 15, 2009
I'm trying to create an effect where a player steps into a room, the screen fades to white, and they are teleported to another part of the map as the world fades back in. I have the teleporting part done, but the fading to white part is proving to be difficult.

I tried using a color_correction_volume, but the color-corrector didn't allow me to go full-white. There must be a better way, like simply having a white texture overlay the screen, and have it fade in and out based on whether or not a player is in a trigger.

Can somebody please help me out? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 12, 2008
you could try env_fade! but i'm not 100% sure if it works for individual players or all players in the server. But give it a try - I used it in whalerace, with some funky results :p

Prettyman

Mar 15, 2009
That was quick! I'll give it a shot! Thank you!

Edit: I looked it up on the wiki, and it would be perfect, but the flag I need to activate isn't in the game. It says it's flag 4: Personal, but it isn't available in the SDK. Is there a way to make it available, or is it not functional in TF2?

Last edited:

Languid

L5: Dapper Member
Oct 9, 2009
env_fade works on all players in the server, from what I've used it for. I'm not sure how you'd get around that..

Sep 12, 2008
yes but sprites don't affect the viewmodel i think, so that wouldn't really work. but reaaaaaaaaaaally bright light entities COULD do the trick though.

like,

REEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLYYYYYYYYY bright.

Wander

L3: Member
Sep 16, 2010
what about color_correction ?
I actually thought color_correction_volume didnt work in tf2, as the dev wiki says its part of episode 1, and only for single player games apart from l4d

You can give it a distance so it only works for players near it, and you can give it a fadein and fadeout duration

Ive used it once in a movie theatre related map, where everyone would see black and white in a part of the spawn
Note though that people can switch color corrections off in their video settings

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
does env_screenoverlay not work?

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
env_screenoverlay is for all players I think.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
no, you can do it on a per client basis

Empyre

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 8, 2011
You can expect complaints about the presence of teleports in your map. I got plenty when I tried some in my map.

Prettyman

Mar 15, 2009
I'm using them as a makeshift elevator, seeing as moving surfaces are a bit iffy in TF2. They're just to get up to the next level of a tower.