Face Vector Warning

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
When I compile my map, I get this line popping up a few times when it gets to building facelights and whatnot

warning - face vectors parallel to face normal. bad lighting will be produced

What have I done to cause this, what does it mean, and how do I fix it?

Also, how do I make rain like in Sawmill?

Altaco

L420: High Member
Jul 3, 2008
Press alt+p in hammer with your map open. It'll give you an error report on what exactly is wrong and you can fix it from there.

Sawmill's rain is a particle effect, so you'll need to create info_particlesystem entites (I think that's it) to create said effect.

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Untitled-2.png

That's the entity and the properties to set it up correctly. ONLY append _collision to the end if you downloaded and properly place the modified files that Psy made here: Rain w/ collision

As for your face vectors, it's probably a problem dealing with some brushes you made where 2 sides are facing the same direction cause you didn't merge verticies into a triangle and kept that middle vertex there for no reason which hammer doesn't like at all. But yea alt+p will show you the brushes that are causing this problem.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I just had the same problem. Hitting ALT + P, there were a few errors about a texture axis being perpendicular or something like that. I hit the magic 'fix' button and it solved it.

RavenStryker

Former Alias: †Blade†/Xi.Cynx
aa
Nov 25, 2008
I just had the same problem. Hitting ALT + P, there were a few errors about a texture axis being perpendicular or something like that. I hit the magic 'fix' button and it solved it.

Gotta be careful about that though cause sometimes when it "fixes" it, it actually could change the shape of the brush. So make sure your looking at the brush being fixed to see if it changed at all. ;)