Extra Particle Effects?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ROFLsnakes, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ROFLsnakes

ROFLsnakes L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I know you can use hl2,and I think some CSS particle effects in tf2.I've looked over the particle effect list and can't find what I'm looking for. I've seen little dust motes mixed with a glow under lamps and i'm curious about how these are achieved.Also is there somewhere I can get extra particle effects. For example, like a rolling fog effect for only a certain area?

Thanks

2. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Well, let's look.

[​IMG]

On 2fort (and every other map you see this on) they use func_dustmotes.

[​IMG]

It's just a brush entity with some basic keyvalues. This is also what is used for the fire effects in Meet the Engineer, by the way.

As for rolling fog--no. There's no way to optimize the particle effect for it. At all. That's why when you look back through 5 years of TF2 and every Source mod and game, you don't see rolling fog anywhere, at all, period. You can do it. You just don't want to.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
  3. ROFLsnakes

Positive Ratings:
    alright cool, didn't realize that was an actual brush,but pretty neat to know that.Figured it would be a particle effect.yeah didn't think the fog would be possible but was hoping for something like that for when a door opens releasing cold air into warm.Not going to go to in-depth then.

4. xzzy

aa xzzy

Positive Ratings:
    You could probably fake it with a carefully built particle system that fires when you open the door, but I have doubts it will ever look anything more than a cheap hack.

5. ROFLsnakes

Positive Ratings:
    was for a one time thing, door opening for a payload cart

6. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    yeah it could look decent then. surely it can be done.
    rolling fog is a bitch because source struggles with render orders and it always looks kinda awkward where it touches the ground.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  7. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    Come to think of it, I have yet to see any engine where smoke, steam, or fog in large quantities doesn't have visible clipping where it intersects with the polygon mesh. Short of replacing the particle based method with a post-processing one, I'm not sure it could be done.

8. Burnout6010

Burnout6010 L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    The ballon particles don't clip with map geometry

9. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    That's what they want you to think.

Never trust a balloon...