External soundcard

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Yeah...so as I posted on the windows 7 thread, since I installed it, my integrated sound card no longer performs the way I want it to. Its acting as a 5.1 surround card instead of plug in anything and have it work :p
See...i have 2 relatively high-end headsets and I want to have them both plugged in at the same time so I can quickly swap between them.

An internal card is not an option as 2 video cards and a wireless card take up a crapload of space.

I have absolutely no idea what qualifies as a good external sound card...so...yeah...it would be helpful if someone around here knew of some good quality ones. Optimized for headsets if at all possible.

If all else fails I may just end up getting an audio splitter, but I'm not really sure if that would degrade the signal in any way.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Buy one of these. The only downside is the volume getting half as loud.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
What kind of integrated audio do you have? Realtek HD? If so, then yes their Windows 7 drivers are awful and they need to make them not awful :|

I don't know much about USB soundcards, but this may help get you started. I'd just read through some of the reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=REVIEWS

Yeah, its realtek <_< I searched around and even emailed support, they replied once, with the wrong solution. Then they haven't replied since I corrected them, about a week ago.

Buy one of these. The only downside is the volume getting half as loud.

I have one of these...likely the exact same one too, but the main problem I see with this is that one of the headsets is powered through the same jack, and from using usb hubs and high power consumption devices ive seen they don't work too well. That and my wireless ones are already complaining that the source volume is too low, halving that would likely not help.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I can't tell the difference with or without the splitter apart from the volume.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
I can't tell the difference with or without the splitter apart from the volume.

my problem being that one headset complains when the volume is too low and the other requires power from the computer, and I am not aware of how much power it requires and how much power is supported on a single jack.