experimental map concept, and layout.

Powerlord

L3: Member
May 8, 2010
so, will you be redesigning the map with ctf in mind? because that map is asymmetrical... and ctf is usually symmetrical if you want it to be balanced...

aaaaand a good example of an unbalanced asymmetric map would be koth_sawmill... and ctf_sawmill to a lesser extent.

Just to name a few issues:

• RED snipers can snipe the BLU spawnroom exits from the fence near mid. A building blocks the same sightline from mid to RED spawnroom exits.
  • The RED lake area is completely wide open, while the BLU lake area has a cave you can hide in.
  • At mid, the RED-side log pile is not up against the wall, meaning you hide behind it.

and that's just 3 things I can think of at the top of my head. The first is a serious balance issue, the others less so. Worse yet, all of them are in RED's favor (the BLU lake tunnel is primarily used by flanking RED players).

Last edited:

Etasus

L420: High Member
Jul 24, 2016
aaaaand a good example of an unbalanced asymmetric map would be koth_sawmill... and ctf_sawmill to a lesser extent.

Just to name a few issues:

• RED snipers can snipe the BLU spawnroom exits from the fence near mid. A building blocks the same sightline from mid to RED spawnroom exits.
  • The RED lake area is completely wide open, while the BLU lake area has a cave you can hide in.
  • At mid, the RED-side log pile is not up against the wall, meaning you hide behind it.

and that's just 3 things I can think of at the top of my head. The first is a serious balance issue, the others less so. Worse yet, all of them are in RED's favor (the BLU lake tunnel is primarily used by flanking RED players).
I have so many problems with that map... its an utter madhouse for valve, and they seriously need to focus some small update just on it...

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Nobody would make an update just for a single map, espically the one nobody really cares about. Rather as a part of a bigger update. Have you seen valve's email replies all the fixes and stuff requested is usually said to be shipped with next update.

Billo

aa
Feb 8, 2016
well if its big and symmetral then you need a gamemode that fits it well and all the rooms are useful
i have in mind 3cp just like powerhouse or ctf
or maybe if you can handle it make you map koth
pd would not be a good option though
i hope i helped

Etasus

Jul 24, 2016
Nobody would make an update just for a single map, espically the one nobody really cares about. Rather as a part of a bigger update. Have you seen valve's email replies all the fixes and stuff requested is usually said to be shipped with next update.
yes, it probably wont be in a single update, but we can dream man... I can dream...:chord:

The Smk

L3: Member
Oct 15, 2015
I think A/D would be fitting for this map it may need some changes and good knowledge of the game mode to pull that off but i cant see anything else working cause it isnt symetrical 5cp,ctf and koth fall out, For pl indoors dosent work, Its to big for arena , special delivery would be interesting but most likely impossible to balance , And so the only gamemodes that would still be avaible are A/d , pd and mannpower. mannpower has many problems which could work on an asymetrical map but that would most likely need a mapping genius. Pd can work asymetrical but dosent fit that mutli stage idea so i wouldnt even say you have to much of a choice

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
Although it's rare, it's possible to design a map for one gamemode and adapt it well for another, similar gamemode. Did you know that Borneo originally started as a Control Point map? (The gamemode was changed mid-development but still)

Twist.vmf

Jul 29, 2016
wow, it's just a picture! hell the map is still just concept. but thank you for your input. below are screenshots of my concept version.

Attachments

• 20161103123810_1.jpg
    20161103123810_1.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 20161103123851_1.jpg
    20161103123851_1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 20161103123908_1.jpg
    20161103123908_1.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 20161103124116_1.jpg
    20161103124116_1.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 20161103123922_1.jpg
    20161103123922_1.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 134

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
The shots seem to be showing off how you've progressed with detail, not layout.

Twist.vmf

Jul 29, 2016
The shots seem to be showing off how you've progressed with detail, not layout.
i said, it is concept, right now i am trying to figure out how the map will look and feel and working with player psychology, it's still just "sea_y" not even a name

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
The fact that it's just a concept doesn't cover that you're posting detail stuff in solely layout thread as if it's relevant.
Sorry if I seem rude, and I probably do, but this kind of confuses me. So, instead of continuing working on the problem you had, you started developing the solution of another? It might just be me, might be me not knowing the whole situation, but right now I feel it's a bit wrong. And it's somewhat minor as I think of it?
Now regarding the screenshots. This is dark. Remember Tum said "must be as bright as outside daytime"? That is true. As of player psychology, in my opinion all you need of that in a game as dynamic as TF2 is to let player know (and believe) where they are and what's going on. Any more will distract from the fast paced gameplay.

Twist.vmf

Jul 29, 2016
The fact that it's just a concept doesn't cover that you're posting detail stuff in solely layout thread as if it's relevant.
Sorry if I seem rude, and I probably do, but this kind of confuses me. So, instead of continuing working on the problem you had, you started developing the solution of another? It might just be me, might be me not knowing the whole situation, but right now I feel it's a bit wrong. And it's somewhat minor as I think of it?
Now regarding the screenshots. This is dark. Remember Tum said "must be as bright as outside daytime"? That is true. As of player psychology, in my opinion all you need of that in a game as dynamic as TF2 is to let player know (and believe) where they are and what's going on. Any more will distract from the fast paced gameplay.
i don't have a problem, i simply made a layout to soon and paraded it as the final product, the reason the map is all detailed is because i need to know if it will even work, if a player can be convinced that they are underwater, that they are in a city, i'm also working with psychology stuff like bubbles, leaks, green and blue light, light coloration for certain areus to provoke a need to go quickly or to be aware, and all sorts of stuff!

this map is more of an experiment then a game.

Last edited: