CTF experiment

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
Looks pretty cool, but I can't help but feel it might be a bit too dark.

Also, the control point looks like it could be easily missed, what with the CP prop being suspended rather than on the ground, like it usually is. Why is it upside down?

Last edited:

Aurora

L1: Registered
Jul 3, 2012
Looks pretty cool, but I can't help but feel it might be a bit too dark.

Also, the capture area looks like it could be easily missed. Why is it upside down?

Hehe, because its just element of decoration ^^. thx and i guess i will not do anything more with this map, i guess its not worth at all.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
There are good and bad ways to use darkness as decoration. Look at how Doublecross uses dark spaces out of the gameplay areas.

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
Hehe, because its just element of decoration ^^. thx and i guess i will not do anything more with this map, i guess its not worth at all.
No, don't quit! Put up some more screenshots, work on the map and enter it into a gameday. It may well turn out to be great eventually! It's already a lot better than my first TF2 map, I can assure you.

Last edited:

Aurora

Jul 3, 2012
What? Why not? It looks like a decent start. Don't give up so easily!

Well i didint give up so easily, but after 50 renders that took 2 hours each one i just want to pass out with this, really bad render optimalized map. more maps will come soon, and waay better then that :p, it was made first from fun with measure (put here that put here this) and now its looking like this.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Two hours? Did you at least func_detail stuff like the bridges and wall slats in the first shot?

colacan

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 14, 2012
I never got it longer than 10 minutes on vrad. Maybe 12 minutes once, but never even near 2 hours.
And it looks nice I think.

Last edited:

Aurora

Jul 3, 2012
Two hours? Did you at least func_detail stuff like the bridges and wall slats in the first shot?

i never make such a big map like that and i didint make any func_details stuff 9_6

i dont know how to use it, only thing i used was fade in/out of props and hint texture on enter to big room

EDIT: and i compiled the map using HDR full (slow)

colacan

Apr 14, 2012
Select the stuff you want to func_detail (walkways, supports that kind of stuff) and press ctrl+t. This will tie the gemoetry to a func_detail. Make sure you don't do this with the skybox. Displacements may also not be tied to a func_detail (or any other entity)

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Basically, anything small and fiddly should be a func_detail. Anything curved should be a func_detail. ANything you can see through, or past, or around should be a func_detail.

Basically a func_detail speeds up compiling by telling the compiler "Don't worry, you can see past me." The compiler stops trying to calculate who can see what around it.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Basically a func_detail speeds up compiling by telling the compiler "Don't worry, you can see past me." The compiler stops trying to calculate who can see what around it.

That's probably the best way I've ever heard this explained.

colacan

Apr 14, 2012
Well, one small thing. I think you playerclipped a little too much. In the spawnrooms you have those supports on the side of the wall sticking out, but you can't get in between them because there's a playerclip. And in the intel rooms with those windows at the back (with the rockets) you can't get on that small ledge. Some other cases too, but no obvious ones that annoy me. I would suggest removing the ones I said though.

Last edited: