Exists?: Ultimate Texture Pack ala The Boojum Snarks' resource pack

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by DrHorrible, Nov 9, 2009.

1. DrHorrible

DrHorrible L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Has anyone ever built something that showcases textures in a way similar to how A Boojum Snark's mapping resource pack showcases practically everything else?

As a new mapper, I don't have a mental library of tf2 textures. I've logged plenty of hours online, but until you start mapping you never really *look* around at the environment around you outside of figuring out where you are in relation to your objective. I have a hard time envisioning my map in anything but dev textures because I don't have anything in my head to imagine with.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    There's this texture browser, and then you type "tf" into the keywords, and VOILA you have tf2 textures in the texture browser.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. DrHorrible

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, but what do those textures look like when plastered across walls and ceilings and floors on geometric brushes of varying sizes under differing light conditions.

That's my point.

4. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings:
    You just have to test them, everybody does. A texture can look good in Hammer and suck ingame. So you just have to test the lighting by yourself

5. SiniStarR

SiniStarR L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I agree with Spike its a matter of trial and error. The cordon tool is espically useful for compiling faster for check little things like lights in certain areas.

6. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Such a library would be of no practical use. Use your own imagination and creativeness to mix and match your own texture choices. It's a big part of mapping that you should take up for yourself.

7. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    Or use official maps as reference for texturing practices and color combinations which are effective.

8. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    A* not The. There is actually another person that once went by "The Boojum Snark"

9. DrHorrible

Positive Ratings:
    @ABS: Fixed (in the post at least, if not the title)

@Psy: No use to experienced mappers perhaps.

The idea isn't to create something that says, "These are the Look-Good-Settings-For-Texture-[FOO]", but rather, "This is what textures [FOO], [OOF], and [OFO] look like in-game."

Granted, anyone can create a box, slap on a texture, compile the map, start the game, load the map, look at the box, quit the game, slap on a different texture, compile the map, start the game, load the map, look at the box again, but with my older machine that process takes too gorram long and I'm figuring that an in-game gallery would be of some use to newer mappers.

It sure would be of use to me. I hadn't seen anything thus far, so I asked. If it doesn't exist, then I'll have to make it.