Exist is crafting himself a new computer

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
I'm in the market for a new computer. My current 2005 HP stock model isn't cutting it anymore (though the moniters are still working and don't need replacement, two HPvs15). So my goal to you guys is too craft me a computer. I know you guys like this stuff, so ill give you a budget of 1000$ (USD). (I actually have 1250$ to spend on this, but setting it lower is always good). Specs below: (they can be greater, but nothing less)

Processor: i5~ Newegg 204.99
MotherBoard ASUS Newegg 234.99
Memory: CRUCIAL Newegg 47.99
Graphics: EVGA GTX Newegg 194.99
Hard Drive: HP Newegg 59.99
Case: Antec Newegg 99.99 <- plus for no fans, four built in

Total is 842.94. This is without shipping

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
CPU: Intel Core i5 760 $210
Mobo: Gigabyte P55A-UD3 $129
RAM: G.Skill-Ripjaws 4GB DDR3-1333 $73
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB $59
GPU: 1GB AMD Radeon HD6850 $199
Case: Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced $125
PSU: Antec Truepower New 550W $105
ODD: LiteOn DVD burner $25
CPU HSF: Coolermaster Universal Hyper 212+ $31

Total: $956

The prices are based on nearby shops, so I don't know where you'd buy them.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
I'd go ahead and get an i7 if you've got the money. It's probably an extra 150 bucks, but that's what I was looking to put together, since my PC is also from 2005. Anyone have an i7 and have an opinion on it?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
i7 works beautifully and you will be spending most of your money on your CPU so you might as well make it a good investment. If you want Windows 7/Vista and to run the 64bit version, it helps a lot to have that power behind it. Since (i believe) you need it (64bit) to run dx 10/11. Which is, by the way, what many of the latest/future games are/will be running on.

It would be silly to upgrade, particularly a gaming PC, and not future proof it to some degree.

I know this applies to quad cores in general but it makes multi-tasking a breeze. You can run multiple softwares and not have your virtual memory suffer too badly, at least to the degree where it reduces performance.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2009
I'd go ahead and get an i7 if you've got the money. It's probably an extra 150 bucks, but that's what I was looking to put together, since my PC is also from 2005. Anyone have an i7 and have an opinion on it?

If you get the i7, make sure to get the 975. It's perhaps one of the most impressive processor I have seen.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Buying an i7 over an i5 just means you won't need to replace your computer as quickly.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Getting an AMD for the sakes of an AMD is just being snobbish. AMD are no longer an underdog brand that need such support. Their wares are quality but you can't just fob off the i7 for the sakes of sheer loyal bravado.

You might fob off an iPod for an mp3 player for the sakes of cost and/or a cultural statement but you can't afford to do that with your CPU.

I've been a loyal AMD supporter for over a decade now and i couldn't just ignore the i7 when it came to updating my system.

Last edited:

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
I-stopped-liking-AMD-Before-it-was-cool.jpg

plus I trust you have an external HDD?

WastedMeerkat

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2009
Getting an AMD for the sakes of an AMD is just being snobbish. AMD are no longer an underdog brand that need such support. Their wares are quality but you can't just fob off the i7 for the sakes of sheer loyal bravado.

You might fob off an iPod for an mp3 player for the sakes of cost and/or a cultural statement but you can't afford to do that with your CPU.

I've been a loyal AMD supporter for over a decade now and i couldn't just ignore the i7 when it came to updating my system.
Tell me how this is justified.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Last edited:

WastedMeerkat

L3: Member
Aug 15, 2009
No idea, i never paid anywhere near that for my i7. But it looks like AMD use L2 cache with 6MB memory when i7 uses L3 and 12MB. Essentially that's x4 more powerful/efficient performance unless i'm misinterpreting the levels/threading capacity between L2 and L3.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/processors/intelcorei7/intel/bx80601950.html

There's no reason you need to get a 6 core.
Meh, no reason not to get one. And if I were to get one then I wouldn't spend 4x as much money on an Intel. Oh and the AMD one uses an L2 cache of 6 x 512KB in conjunction with an L3 cache of 6MB. So it's not as bad as you say compared to the i7.

Oh but here, let's do this. Price-wise, I would still take the AMD over the Intel. Why would I pay $40 more for a quad-core when I could get a freaking hex-core?

Last edited:

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Meh, no reason not to get one. And if I were to get one then I wouldn't spend 4x as much money on an Intel. Oh and the AMD one uses an L2 cache of 6 x 512KB in conjunction with an L3 cache of 6MB. So it's not as bad as you say compared to the i7.

Oh but here, let's do this. Price-wise, I would still take the AMD over the Intel. Why would I pay $40 more for a quad-core when I could get a freaking hex-core?

It's a given that more cores will mean more processing power, but it isn't a simple raw equation. I don't wanna start an argument here since we're just throwing out suggestions for Exist. But for an extra ~£80 (vs AMD) i got an i7 with twice as much memory and the next generation of threading which increases multitasking capacity. L3 means you don't have to have a six or even 8 core because it works that so much better/smoother/more efficiently. More cores will also mean more power so you'll need a better PSU too. You wanted to know the reason for the price differences and i'm afraid that's the best my limited knowledge can give; the hard ware is better, not just that there's more of it.

If you wanna save money for an economic CPU get AMD. If you want processing power and highetened/peak performance get an i7. No one is technically better as the other as they each have their own pros and cons.

Last edited:

I-Fling-Poo

L1: Registered
Aug 15, 2009
System I built recently

Intel Core i7 980X Extreme (6 cores, 12 threads)
Asus Rampage III Extreme MB
ATI/AMD Saphire Radeon HD 5970
Corsair Obsidian 800D case
12 GB Corsair XMS3 (6x 2GB) DDR3 1600
Corsair 1000HX PS
4x Western Digital 1TB SATA drives
LG 10x Blu-ray Rewriter
2x Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Monitors

This system makes TETRIS just scream! :)

Poo

PS - Seriously though, TF2 (pretty much every map) runs between 250-300 FPS consistently. However, I'm still a mediocre player!
PPS - in console, "connect tf2.blackcompany.com", my server.

Impulse

L2: Junior Member
Nov 1, 2009
I have mad several computers with mine being an i5 and a few running i7's. While there is better performance i have found that unless you make the jump from 1156 to 1366 and get tri-channel ram the price is not justified. I would recommend a i5 if you want to spend money for better peripherals or save some money for something else, with and i5, 4GB of ram, and a midrange GPU you won't find yourself slowing down too terribly.

Right now i have
i5 750 (3.2 Ghz)
4gb ram
470GTX
7200rpm HDD
the resolution is 1920x1080

I can play tf2 at 80fps easily and that is quicker than my monitors refresh rate so i don't find any real need for an i7 as far as gaming, i think the main gain you will see will be compiling maps or other software that can truly take advantage of the 8 (12?) threads.

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
I support Intel, my current computer has Intel parts, and it's lasted me for 5 years, so I'd prefer to stay loyal.

Impulse

L2: Junior Member
Nov 1, 2009
Heres what i put together for you...
-CPU / Mobo $365
-RAM $50
-OS $100
-PSU / GPU $280
-HDD $70
-DVD Drive $20
-Case $60

I recommended a CPU cooler, if your going for looks this one matches the GPU cooler nicely but you need both parts
-Dark Knight
If your not going for looks go with a Hyper 212+ or stock cooling if your chosing not to OC

I can't recommend a case because everyones style is different but i would recommend this because of the good things i have heard of from it.

The total is close to $1000 but there is a good amount of rebates, it just takes allot of time to get that money back.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
Random story: When i bought my i7 it was an 1366 LGA, but when i asked the technition to recommend a motherboard he gave me one that was an 1156 LGA. I was not happy when i took it home to build and realised the chip was larger than the CPU slot.

Impulse is right though about the 1366 jump.

Last edited: