ETF2L Mapping contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Chubbsterinho, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Chubbsterinho

Chubbsterinho L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hello, below is a link to a thread on ETF2L talking about a mapping contest.

If you don't know this is the biggest European TF2 league around, with all the best teams playing in it.

Click me

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but it would be a great opportunity to get some good publicity for the mapper and site alike. The only thing that I would mention, is that this map would be for competitive play first and foremost, so it may change the way you do things. :eek:hmy:

Thanks for reading and hopefully we'll see some top maps :)

2. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    Very interesting. Thanks for the link m8, I'll definitely be following this :)

3. Cerious

Cerious L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Well, if the maps the people will submit are for competitive play, the most common map type in competitive play is 3-point A/D (like Gravelpit and Junction), 5-point symmetrical cp (Granary, Fastlane, Redstone, etc.), or ctf (like 2fort and Turbine). Large maps are rarely played due to how long they can take, and poorly optimized maps are usually rejected by the community.

4. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    The rules. I've put a WIP for drylands on their TF2 forums.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  5. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    What.

You know that's just one month, right? Our payload contest went on for four months, and by the end we had 9 of about 30 entries ready. As the rules state, aestethics aren't important, but you'd better increase the time limit if you want anything but dev textured maps ("orange maps").

6. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    5 pt cp is kinda restricting... I wish I could work with the competitive community in a non-contest setting, getting them to playtest and provide feedback on my ctf map-which I'm designing specifically for teamplay :S

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. ikem

ikem L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    i think i am going to enter... not much time though

8. uma plata

uma plata L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    You could post it at the GotFrag forums

Or TF2F

Lot of competitive players in both those communities

9. Randdalf

aa Randdalf

Positive Ratings:
    Mangy post your map in the ETF2L forums, they're an understanding lot from what I've seen and you'll get good feedback from them.

10. Akill

Akill L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks for the early posting Chubbsterinho :)

Hey guys, im the one trying to spearhead this competition for ETF2L. Obviously most of our community is inaware of the requirements to make maps equal to that of the brilliant standard that comes out of TF2maps.net's community.

Im here to explain a little, to help both our communities thrive together, and to gain a little understanding. Originally i though a month would be enough for a map based around gameplay. However some people here have mentioned otherwise. Would 2 months be an acceptable timeline? i could try to arrange to push the date back if 1 month is too restricting.

On another note, this competition is to firstly promote awareness in the mapping community for 6v6 tf2, and for 6v6 tf2 to have awareness of the mapping community! :) we hope to have a successful first competition based on 5cp maps, and in the future a competition for another map type would be likely based on this competitions success.

If people would like to get their map play tested by 6v6 teams, and are interested in constructive feedback/ suggestions as to what makes a good 6v6 map, i can arrange for days and game/voice servers to be used to play test the maps by our community. Catch me on irc://irc.quakenet.org channel #etf2l (my username is Akill or Akill_ )

I also run a weekly radioshow for our TF2 community, as such there is a huge possibility to arrange a 6v6-community wide gathering to supply your mapping-community with an endless WAVE of playtesters.

Im glad with the quick initial responce to this competition, and i will give any mappers the necessary resources they require to help them develop their maps, so definately drop me a line.

Idle in: #etf2l
    Steam account: Akill_

11. Akill

Positive Ratings:
  12. trainRiderJ

trainRiderJ L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    In regards to a month being too short, the above statement is an actual fact, and not exaggeration.

It might be best to have the contest in a series of phases, first focused purely on gameplay and later taking aesthetics into consideration. A 4-month time frame for the entire thing would be appropriate if you intend for these maps to be good enough to make it into league rotations.

Certainly some people will finish their maps early, but not everyone has 20+ hours a week to devote to their map.

If you have a main contest page up I'll link it in a variety of NA TF2 sites.

13. Akill

Positive Ratings:
  14. Armadillo of Doom

aa Armadillo of Doom Group Founder, Lover of Pie

Positive Ratings:
    This is a good thing you guys are doing :) There has been a great deal of interest amongst the community here about what our next major contest will be. Doing something for small-team competitions is worth considering.

15. Akill

Positive Ratings:
  16. Akill

Positive Ratings:
    Due to request and consideration for the map authors, and fitting in appropriately timelines for the competitive community, we have pushed the deadline for this contest back

new final submission date is on the 29th MARCH

Also we have a new method for gaining HUGE amounts of playtesting, authors should study this post:

http://etf2l.org/forum/mapcomp/topic-2116/?recent=25603

Its advised that if you wish to recieve up front playtesting feedback that you join
    irc://irc.quakenet.org

and join #tf2.playtest.pickup

17. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    http://etf2l.org/forum/mapcomp/topic-3340/?recent=48292

Finalists have been announced. 5 maps have been selected by a panel of judges.

Yukon
    Waste
    Afterdusk
    Gullywash
    Outlaw

http://etf2l.org/forum/mapcomp/topic-3340/?recent=48292

18. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I thought this competition was dead

19. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't even heard about Gullywash, Afterdusk or Outlaw! I'll have to check them out when I have time.

Awesome to see Yukon and Waste in there, by the way.

20. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    Lots of maps changed their names

Gullywash=Worselands