ESEA-Invite Player lucrative's New Map Testing! (for 6v6)

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

TwinMill

L2: Junior Member
Nov 2, 2017
At what stage would you recommend we submit a map for competitive testing? Early alpha? Late alpha? Beta?

Quantum

L3: Member
Mar 31, 2016
At what stage would you recommend we submit a map for competitive testing? Early alpha? Late alpha? Beta?
For these tests, as early as possible. But what I would recommend is running it on the tf2maps test servers at least once or twice to make sure the map doesn't have any major flaws in it before submitting for comp players to try out.

Khuntza

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 29, 2009
Hey lucrative.. I've previously released a series of mirrored maps where the idea is to perfectly mirror official maps without making changes. In 2010 I put together a competitive pack for the OZFortress league featuring mirrored Badlands, Granary and Gravelpit.

Given your previous comment on Gravelpit I figure you wont be interested in it, but the latest versions of all the mirrored maps are available on the workshop here - https://steamcommunity.com/id/Khuntza/myworkshopfiles/?appid=440

When I did the OZFortress pack I made custom cap points for them and packed them into the maps. If you were interested in using the mirrored versions of these maps I'd be happy to look at putting together something similar for ESEA. You can see examples of these here - http://khuntza.net/OzfortressMirroredMaps.html

All that said, the mirroring of maps is more of a novelty over anything else. The maps will play differently and can be disorienting at first. If team trained on them beforehand they might find they offer a fresh take on maps that have been done to death in comp. Let me know your thoughts.

TwinMill

Nov 2, 2017

Attachments

• 20190312190852_1.jpg
    20190312190852_1.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 266

TwinMill

Nov 2, 2017
Thank you! Luckily there's a good chance I'll be able to get an updated version in before you test it!

lucrative

L1: Registered
Dec 28, 2018
hey everyone!

just wanted to do a quick post to let everyone know that THIS HAS BEEN SOOOO SUCCESSFUL!!! and thank you to all the players and developers who are committed to these maptest pugs!

that being said, our success has led to the first ever RGL pop up league; the modern maps league! http://mmpl.rgl.gg/ and you can check the TF.TV announcement here https://www.teamfortress.tv/51720/rgl-presents-the-modern-maps-popup-league

all the maps featured in this event are a result of these maptest pugs and will have tons of new and experience teams playing them in a competitive setting!

Last edited:

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
hey everyone!

just wanted to do a quick post to let everyone know that THIS HAS BEEN SOOOO SUCCESSFUL!!! and thank you to all the players and developers who are committed to these maptest pugs!

that being said, our success has led to the first ever RGL pop up league; the modern maps league! http://mmpl.rgl.gg/ and you can check the TF.TV announcement here https://www.teamfortress.tv/51720/rgl-presents-the-modern-maps-popup-league

all the maps featured in this event are a result of these maptest pugs and will have tons of new and experience teams playing them in a competitive setting!

Is Synthetic featured in this? You mentioned you'd test it but I've yet to hear more about it. I've been getting some highlander testing for the map and it would be good for the 6's opinion as well.

lucrative

Dec 28, 2018
Is Synthetic featured in this? You mentioned you'd test it but I've yet to hear more about it. I've been getting some highlander testing for the map and it would be good for the 6's opinion as well.

Hey Megapieman!

the list of maps being played are listed in the official announcement :)

I haven't even had the chance to playtest synthetic, originally when you asked it seemed pretty finished and mostly played in highlander so I thought it was receiving a pretty good amount of testing already, I have added it to my que of maptests since you expressed interest in it being played in 6v6 as well and recent updates. that being said I do have a ton of maps we are testing, 25+ so my que is pretty stacked at the moment and im working as best I can to getting all the maps played :)

MegapiemanPHD

Doctorate in Deliciousness
aa
Mar 31, 2012
Hey Megapieman!

the list of maps being played are listed in the official announcement :)

I haven't even had the chance to playtest synthetic, originally when you asked it seemed pretty finished and mostly played in highlander so I thought it was receiving a pretty good amount of testing already, I have added it to my que of maptests since you expressed interest in it being played in 6v6 as well and recent updates. that being said I do have a ton of maps we are testing, 25+ so my que is pretty stacked at the moment and im working as best I can to getting all the maps played :)
That's alright. The way I look at it, the more feedback the better but I understand if you're stacked.

lucrative

Dec 28, 2018
Hello everyone

Im here to announce that the Modern Map League on RGL is officially being cancelled due to lack of signups. Id also like the announce that im taking a small break from the map testing as Im busy starting a new job but I fully plan to start it up again in a few weeks or maybe a month or so I haven't decided.

This is obviously super super disappointing from me and none of this is to blame on you guys, the Mappers. Everyone involved in these tests have worked super hard and have produced some absolutely outstanding maps. More has been accomplished through this testing than another other form of comp 6v6 map testing in the past and thats something to be happy about. But for now, I need to take the time to take a step back and reassess how to improve the testing and give the maps a better chance at being played going forward.

Sorry to everyone who has been let down by this, or anyone whose hopes I got up with the map league. When I return to this I will make it better.