error 7 can't load vmf and no mater what i do.

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
i can't get my VMF open, i keep getting

Error loading file

file C:\placeholder\mapsrc\map_1_open.vmf, line
4631: error 7

idk what to do! i removed the solid at line 4631
this is very frustrating and i really don't want to lose this map. here is the .vmf

any help would...help, i already went from web site to web site, but even the valve dev site was no help.

(p.s. it's a half-life map)

Attachments

• map_1_open.vmf
    99.9 KB · Views: 147

XEnderFaceX

F1 Fan
Aug 18, 2015
you could download a decompiler and decompile your latest version, youll lose some things, but then you should have a working vmf

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
It looks like that specific line of your VMF has an error in it. You have a couple options:
-Open the .vmf file as a plaintext document in a plaintext application, such as Notepad++, go to that line, and see if anything looks odd, and if you know what you're doing, you can edit the VMF to try and fix it. You can also look at the surrounding lines for errors.
-Find the .vmx file for your map (should be right next to the .vmf, with the same name). The .vmx file is a backup of your map, so you can change the file extension to .vmf and try opening that in Hammer.
-As Ender suggested, decompiling the last compiled version of your map should give you a working .vmf. It may not be recent, and some things like areaportals may be screwed up, but overall it's virtually guaranteed to give a .vmf that you can open.
-If nothing else will suffice, post your .vmf and see if one of us can fix it.

Twist.vmf

L420: High Member
Jul 29, 2016
It looks like that specific line of your VMF has an error in it. You have a couple options:
-Open the .vmf file as a plaintext document in a plaintext application, such as Notepad++, go to that line, and see if anything looks odd, and if you know what you're doing, you can edit the VMF to try and fix it. You can also look at the surrounding lines for errors.
-Find the .vmx file for your map (should be right next to the .vmf, with the same name). The .vmx file is a backup of your map, so you can change the file extension to .vmf and try opening that in Hammer.
-As Ender suggested, decompiling the last compiled version of your map should give you a working .vmf. It may not be recent, and some things like areaportals may be screwed up, but overall it's virtually guaranteed to give a .vmf that you can open.
-If nothing else will suffice, post your .vmf and see if one of us can fix it.
i got the vmx thing to work. is the broken brush gone or do i have to hunt it down before i save my hammer work?

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
We don't know if it was a broken brush, but I'm guessing it wasn't. Hammer couldn't even read the file, which likely points to a syntax error of some sort in the file itself; in other words, the file was written in a way that Hammer couldn't read it to even know what brushes were in it. I wouldn't be surprised if Hammer did this on its own, but it is also possible that you did something to cause it. Things like including quotes (") in any text field can create this kind of error, so if you did that, don't. Whatever caused the error, it obviously wasn't present in the .vmx, so you shouldn't have to hunt down and delete anything. At this point, I would just forge ahead, pay attention to what changes you make, and if the error appears again, try to think back to if you did anything to cause it.