Erector

Hideous

L1: Registered
Jul 8, 2009
So, ages ago, I made a really really shitty map - it was wide and open, and just generally too big. But a friend made a comment that stuck with me:

It's too flat, you need to work more on the z-level

So, I decided to only work on the Z-level this time. I present to you, cp_erector, which is an attack and defend map, where the blue team starts at the bottom, working their way up to the top of the tower.

It can be pretty damn fun to play, if a little too easy to defend sometimes.

Nov 14, 2009
Concept is amazing!

Although, I would love to see how this plays, it also looks quite nice. Kudos.

Aug 10, 2009
I know that you probably don't want to deal with this comment, but I feel obligated to say it :p

BASICALLY, you have a ton of wide open stairs. This leaves the players going up in a really vulnerable position from
a) Pyros that jump down and airblast enemies off
b) Demomen can effectively lock enemies in a portion of the stairs with sticky bombs
c) Soldiers and sentries can lay waste to anything surviving, and possibly knock them off as well

What I suggest to remedy this is to change your ways of getting up to be a lot more protected, and blocking the line of sight to the defenders without the defenders having to get in an awkward position to attack.

Basically, let the attackers get to the defenders before the fight begins. If you can do this, then I think the map will play great!

I've seen this concept a few times before, but none have been executed with great skill and precision, so that means you may be the first! :)

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
Played it a couple of weeks ago at a blueprint. Some classes may be slightly OP but that comes with a map like this, great fun though. I don't want you to change much, and I'll need to try the new version but I loved the last :3

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
This is kind of the point of the map, but okay then.

That message makes me think that you designed the map as a kill-farming map for anyone on RED. A/D maps are careful to balance because they require both teams to have both advantages and disadvantages which allow players to have fun. In your map there is only one advantage for only one team. I can almost guarantee that unless this is done with Valve-like level design, BLU will ragequit within five minutes.

tl;dr - Make sure BLU has enough advantages over RED to actually advance upwards.

Hideous

Jul 8, 2009
I don't know, we played this for like an hour and laughed our asses off today. It's not meant as an incredibly serious map, because honestly, that'd be a pain in the ass to balance here.

On another note, the red pyros can't really airblast people, because they just push them down into the stairs. The blue ones, on the other hand, come from below and thus push people a lot easier.

Hastur

Jul 30, 2010
Hate to sound like a broken record, but:

RAILINGS!

They might make the map more balanced...

red_flame586

L420: High Member
Apr 19, 2009
Pyros might be overpowered, so railings might fix it. Also, you probably could do with some more large stop points for attackers to wait and find cover in, buildings off the side will help.

Overall, even if it might be fun, pyro will be extreemly over powered and some people will get really unhappy. The idea is to make it fun for everyone, you don't want an angry german kid on every server which plays this map.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
I'm in the process of balancing a map with many open edges like this one and a thing is certain : railings don't solve any pyro based issue. A fair airblasting pyro will simply aim upward and do a couple shots to ensure the falling doom.

The real key is to take protective measures (real barriers with valuable height) on some key locations, mainly after the corners/turns or near the objectives - in the places where über are likely to be used and thus the issue is the more sensible. Let the pyros spell doom but in more exposed places, and not in an ambush context.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
This is a nice concept good work :)

Also: Teehee you said erect.