1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Erector

Discussion in 'Map Factory' started by Hideous, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Hideous

Hideous L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    So, ages ago, I made a really really shitty map - it was wide and open, and just generally too big. But a friend made a comment that stuck with me:

So, I decided to only work on the Z-level this time. I present to you, cp_erector, which is an attack and defend map, where the blue team starts at the bottom, working their way up to the top of the tower.

It can be pretty damn fun to play, if a little too easy to defend sometimes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Grim Tuesday

aa Grim Tuesday

Positive Ratings:
    Concept is amazing!

Although, I would love to see how this plays, it also looks quite nice. Kudos.

3. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    I know that you probably don't want to deal with this comment, but I feel obligated to say it :p

BASICALLY, you have a ton of wide open stairs. This leaves the players going up in a really vulnerable position from
    a) Pyros that jump down and airblast enemies off
    b) Demomen can effectively lock enemies in a portion of the stairs with sticky bombs
    c) Soldiers and sentries can lay waste to anything surviving, and possibly knock them off as well

What I suggest to remedy this is to change your ways of getting up to be a lot more protected, and blocking the line of sight to the defenders without the defenders having to get in an awkward position to attack.

Basically, let the attackers get to the defenders before the fight begins. If you can do this, then I think the map will play great!

I've seen this concept a few times before, but none have been executed with great skill and precision, so that means you may be the first! :)

4. Fraz

aa Fraz Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.

Positive Ratings:
    Played it a couple of weeks ago at a blueprint. Some classes may be slightly OP but that comes with a map like this, great fun though. I don't want you to change much, and I'll need to try the new version but I loved the last :3

5. NanoSquid

NanoSquid L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Dispensin' an erector

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Hideous

Positive Ratings:
    This is kind of the point of the map, but okay then.

7. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    That message makes me think that you designed the map as a kill-farming map for anyone on RED. A/D maps are careful to balance because they require both teams to have both advantages and disadvantages which allow players to have fun. In your map there is only one advantage for only one team. I can almost guarantee that unless this is done with Valve-like level design, BLU will ragequit within five minutes.

tl;dr - Make sure BLU has enough advantages over RED to actually advance upwards.

8. Hideous

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know, we played this for like an hour and laughed our asses off today. It's not meant as an incredibly serious map, because honestly, that'd be a pain in the ass to balance here.

On another note, the red pyros can't really airblast people, because they just push them down into the stairs. The blue ones, on the other hand, come from below and thus push people a lot easier.

9. Hastur

Hastur L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hate to sound like a broken record, but:

RAILINGS!

They might make the map more balanced...

10. Fredrik

Fredrik L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think pyros will be OP.
    The concept's kinda cool though.

11. red_flame586

red_flame586 L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Pyros might be overpowered, so railings might fix it. Also, you probably could do with some more large stop points for attackers to wait and find cover in, buildings off the side will help.

Overall, even if it might be fun, pyro will be extreemly over powered and some people will get really unhappy. The idea is to make it fun for everyone, you don't want an angry german kid on every server which plays this map.

12. Uriak

Uriak L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm in the process of balancing a map with many open edges like this one and a thing is certain : railings don't solve any pyro based issue. A fair airblasting pyro will simply aim upward and do a couple shots to ensure the falling doom.

The real key is to take protective measures (real barriers with valuable height) on some key locations, mainly after the corners/turns or near the objectives - in the places where über are likely to be used and thus the issue is the more sensible. Let the pyros spell doom but in more exposed places, and not in an ambush context.

13. gamemaster1996

gamemaster1996 L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    This is a nice concept good work :)

Also: Teehee you said erect.

14. Exist

Exist L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Change the name for god's sake.

15. Hastur

Hastur L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Quite agreed. As for pyros, perhaps more platforms to break your fall should you be airblasted off?

16. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    being airblasted two levels down is almost as annoying as being killed, really.