env_sun not working

engoldin

L2: Junior Member
Apr 10, 2009
I realize I might "lighting challenged" if I cannot accomplish the simple task of setting up and env_sun. I've read the tutorials on the subject and still can't' get it to work. It's pretty safe to say that I'm beyond advice. Can someone give me the raw values and fields that I need to edit in order to accomplish this? Thanks.

I want the sun to shine down from directly overhead (a la high noon). Simply put, what values in what fields in env_sun properties?

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
I'm aware. My problem is not that my map isn't properly lit, but rather that the env_sun and its associated glow are not visible when the map is compiled.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Perhaps the walls are so high/the angle of the env_sun is so low, that the map hides the sun sprite?

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Pitch is set to -90 for light_environment. Pitch/yaw/roll are all set to 0. It's my understanding that the same pitch/(pitch/yaw/roll) should be used for the env_sun if you want them to synch up. If I'm not mistaken, the sun should be shining strait down... but it isn't.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
I've tried pitch/yaw/roll 90/0/0 with a pitch of -90

I've tried pitch/yaw/roll 0/0/0 with a pitch of -90.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
Is it possible that having a layer of playerclip between the env_sun entity and the skybox could cause it to malfunction?

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
Is it possible that having a layer of playerclip between the env_sun entity and the skybox could cause it to malfunction?

Definately no.

Here's the default env_sun settings from pl_badwater, try those:

Name: -
Pitch Yaw Roll (Y Z X): 0 38 0
Viewer Entity: -
UseAngles: Yes
Pitch: -35
Sun Color: 254 226 186
Overlay Color: 0 0 0
Size: 16
Overlay Size: -1
Material Name: sprites/light_glow02_add_noz
Overlay Material Name: sprites/light_glow02_add_noz
HDR color scale: 1.0

For high noon I'd suggest a pitch of maybe -60. If you go with -90 it won't look very real.

engoldin

Apr 10, 2009
I tried the badwater figures and they worked. My inclination is that -90 isn't a valid angle parameter for some reason.