env_sprite parented to train doesn't appear

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Jeebies

L2: Junior Member
Feb 15, 2008
I got an env_sprite working the way I want it to, turns off and on when told - looks good.

As soon as I parent it to my func_tracktrain it doesn't appear anymore. Anyone have experience with parenting a sprite? It seems to break my sprite when I do it and I can't figure out why.

thanks for any help.

Jeebies

Feb 15, 2008
Anyone have any hints? I'd like to at least try for an alternative like a light_dynamic. But when I try to use those it makes the textures around it white and doesn't work right anyway.

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
Jeebies, I'm going to try a test map out with a parented sprite. I'll get back to you.

dirtyminuth

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 5, 2007
Just finished some testing. I attempted to parent an env_sprite to a func_door that would move when triggered. Any sprite I parented would not appear in the game. Furthermore, when I tried an ent_dump on the parented sprite, I discovered that the sprite isn't even compiled into the bsp.

It's probably the same thing going on with your func_tracktrain.

You could hack it by painting the sprite material on a func_brush that is parented to the func_tracktrain. It won't orient itself to the player's view vector, though.

Jeebies

Feb 15, 2008
Wow, thanks dm

I finally found something that works ok, but it would probably make you old pro's laugh, me doing it this way. I put a tiny brush in front of it, with the texture "hud/eng_status_area_sentry_blue" and tied it to 'func_reflectiveglass' because I found that to be one that I could parent and turn off and on. I copied that and made one with the red version for the red indication. I'm in the process of uploading my beta to this website, but not sure if it bombed or not. Here's another link to it:

ctf_smugglerbeta1.bsp - 9.7 Mb

I'd still like to know how to do the sprite to make it more consistent with the remotes on the walls that return the train - the stationary ones.