entdata - 94.7% ... What's the max entities you can have?

Resistance

L2: Junior Member
Mar 24, 2009
I'm trying to create a visually atmospheric map and I'm trying to use a lot of lights for it. Heres a screenshot of it:

When i do a compile it says Entdata is nearly full... can you surpass this amount? What happens if you do?

(The thing that has the most entities is that red glowing stripe running along the walls. (looks better in game than on the screenshot). It took a lot of experimentation to get that effect just right. I had to take the color_red texture, modify it to be unitgeneric to make it fullbright, then the only good way I could find to add the glowing light effect was to use a bunch of env_sprites with lights. It's got a ton of env_sprites which is probably what's taking up all the entdata. (theres more than in just this hallway).

Anyone possibly have an idea how to create that effect without using env_sprite... Tried using point_spotlight with a bunch of different types of spotlight lengths and widths, but it just wouldn't create the proper effect... even tried env_lightglow. May just have to modify the map without that red stripe which is unfortunate because it looks so awesome. (or just use the fullbright texture red texture and forget the glow effect.)

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
entdata is one of the few limits that you can have over 100% with no issues.

Your problem will not be entdata, it's going to be the edict limit of 2048 dynamic entities. such as env_sprites. If the limit is met during a game, like a demoman launches a sticky too much, The server crashes.

I would suggest that you make a custom texturelight texture which is bright red. and see how that works. I have never done something like that so it might not be what you're looking for.

Resistance

Mar 24, 2009
entdata is one of the few limits that you can have over 100% with no issues.

Your problem will not be entdata, it's going to be the edict limit of 2048 dynamic entities. such as env_sprites. If the limit is met during a game, like a demoman launches a sticky too much, The server crashes.

I would suggest that you make a custom texturelight texture which is bright red. and see how that works. I have never done something like that so it might not be what you're looking for.

Ah that's good to know that I can surpass the entdata, i'll have to double check to see exactly how many entities I have. I tried making the red texture a lighted one instead of fullbright, but It doesn't create a glow effect and I can't really control how it lights the room.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Lights won't add to your edict limit.

Unless they're named.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
You have to use cl_showents while running in-game to see the edict count, because it is not directly related to number of entities in Hammer (some count for more, plus game-generated stuff). You should stay under around ~1450 edicts listed if you are the only one on your map (the other 600 leave room for 32 players and their related entities).

Feb 14, 2008
It would be easier to use a texture with modified vmt parameters so it either glows, or emits light (or both!) - and you only need 1 for each strip!

Resistance

Mar 24, 2009
It would be easier to use a texture with modified vmt parameters so it either glows, or emits light (or both!) - and you only need 1 for each strip!

I would certainly like to know how to edit the vmt to create a glow like a point_spotlight glow, as there is no documention in Valve's level design documentation that says how to do that....

I only found how to make it emit light without having the options for control over drop off distances for the light, fullbright or the option that makes it emit light in specific spots on the texture....... didn't see any documentation for making it glow.